From: "John Chambers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2002 3:58 AM
Subject: Re: [abcusers] The virtues of handling music graphically

Rick writes:
| "Laurie (ukonline)" wrote:
|
| > No, sorry - no Linux version.
| >
| > (You mean Linux doesn't have a Windows emulation subsystem!!)
|
| Shudder!!!  (To the backdrop of loud wailing and gnashing of teeth!!)  ;-)

Well, actually, it does have several.  Wine and Lindows come to mind.
They  both  do  have  limitations,  though,  related to the fact that
Windows' inner workings are secret. There are Microsoft products that
use  undocumented  parts of the OS, and it's real hard to do a proper
emulation of things that you aren't permitted to know anything about.

One of the linux news stories lately has been Microsoft's attempt  to
squash  Lindows  by  burying  them  with legal costs.  MS claims that
"Lindows" is a trademark  infringement.   Supposedly  it  is  similar
enough  to  "Windows"  to  cause  confusion  on  the  part  of  their
customers.  This has, naturally, led to a lot of humor.   Suggestions
that  it's true; MS's customers generally aren't smart enough to tell
the difference.  And Microsoft is also filing  suit  against  several
major  real  estate firms for selling houses that contain windows not
licensed by Microsoft.  That sort of thing.

There's also a cute followup suit from the  BE  OS  people,  claiming
that Windows ME infringes their name. After all, "ME" differs in only
one letter from "BE". They point to the Lindows suit as evidence that
Microsoft itself agrees with the principle.

There's some strange humor in these circles ...

To subscribe/unsubscribe, point your browser to:
http://www.tullochgorm.com/lists.html