>pages because the file sizes are much larger and the download
times
>that much longer, and because the results on-screen are
unpredictable.

I don't really agree, even if you're right in some extends :
A gif file (I mean a partition) that looks cool on a browser with
16 colours is ci. 9 ko. The same in ps is 29 ko, but converted in
pdf it's only 11 ko (I've tried for a small tune). The difference
is that both ps and pdf will print good, the gif will be ugly if
printed. And it's not true to say there is an antialiasing problem
(at least it can be corrected).

If you want to have a look, I've copied the test files here :

http://anamnese.online.fr/lastened/princess.gif and
http://anamnese.online.fr/lastened/princess.pdf
http://anamnese.online.fr/lastened/princess.ps

To see what my antialiased ps files look like, princess.gif is
just a screen-copy of ghostview. I find it strange that most of
users complain about antialiasing with ghostview when the
antialiasing problem just comes from the lines : if the staff
lines are understood to be "quite thick", then ghostview will
"antialias" them and the results will be awfull (some lines will
be antialiased, some others not). Just change the thickness of the
staff lines, and only the notes will be antialiased and the
display nicer. For example, a ps generateed by abcm2pq will begun
such :

%%BeginSetup
/bdef {bind def} bind def
/T {translate} bdef
/M {moveto} bdef
/dlw {0.8 setlinewidth} bdef

 {0.8 setlinewidth} may be too large to display well (but it
prints better on laser printers), so if you edit by hand the ps
files, you can lower the value, to {0.7 setlinewidth} or less (it
displays well with 0.7 for me, at least with graphic alpha turned
to 2, not 4).
You can of course alter the source code of the program in order to
make this value the default (for example to compile 2 programs,
one to generate ps files for the screen, the other for the printer
etc.)