Laura Conrad wrote:

>     laurie> Why does transposition need to understand the mode?
>
> Currently, the abc2midi transposer only understands the key
> signature.  So if I have a piece in D dorian, and I transpose it up 3
> half notes, the transposed output is in Ab.  It should be in F dorian.

Exactly.  Is abc2abc part of abc2midi?  That's what I use to transpose tunes, anyway,
and
whenever I have a tune in a mode, it always puts in the abc file the major key
associated
with the key signature of the mode the original was in, and I always have to go in and
manually change it.  Very irritating.

Is it really that hard to simply change the key or mode letter in the key signature up
or
down the correct number of half-steps like it does for guitar chords?  Seems like it's
just a text filed for the transposer sw, and it could be treated the same way.  I had
thought about writing a standalone transposer, but found I like playing the music more
than writing sw for it.  ;-)

Rick