Yawn.

Sigh.

Look.  If you think you are the only fellow allowed an opinion then you are
crazy, so I'll presume that you don't think that and you agree that others
can have theirs.  That includes me.  You are for ever (and it has got
boring) quoting people out of context and misquoting people.  Who ever wrote
"I want it my way and no other.".  Nobody, right?  You just made it up,
right?

I am right?  You did just make that up??

Because at the moment I think *you* are the only person on the list who
thinks that way.  I hope to discover that I'm wrong and you don't.

Now if I remember correctly (feel free to dig it up in the archives) my
original quote was (from memory) close to "we like it that way and reading
this thread will reveal who 'we' are".

You always leave that last part off.  What I was saying (yawn) a long time
ago was that this business of modes can be argued both ways, there are two
sides to it and ultimately it comes down to a matter of opinion.  I had (and
still have) a particular opinion, and reading through the thread it was
clear that several others had the same opinion.  Some may like it this way,
some may like it that way.  Me, I like it *this* way.  OK?  It's an opinion?
Am I entitled to it?  YES I AM.

Part of my musical upbringing was flamenco guitar where there are
essentially three modes and about 4 keys.  The keys are E, A, D and C and
the modes are major, minor and Phrygian (OK tarantas is played in F#
phrygian and, with a capo on fret 2 that's G#Phr - that's why I said
"about").  To describe a phrygian piece as either minor or major is a
travesty.  It's not just wrong, it's ludicrous.  You hear classical
composers who write "Spanish" pieces that go Am G7 F E and should stop there
(EPhry) but the poor fellow is clearly in a panic and desperately rushes
back to the thing he knows, and glues a minor ending on.  E7 Am (phew that
was a close one!)  The result is like a Vaughan Williams "folk song".
"Song" yes, "folk", no.

So I grew up thinking modes are important.  Then I came across Irish music
in Dorian and it's obviously a sort of minor but it obviously has its own
character.  Then there are those pieces in G with all the Fs naturals.  And
I could go on.  So MY OPINION which is derived from my growing up is that
modes matter and I don't want to see them go away.  I'd rather see things
notated as tonic+mode or even tonic and a bunch of accidentals than as a
collection of sharps and flats.  It's just my opinion.  But I'm entitled to
it.  That is the way I like it.  That is my opinion.  It is in fact just
that, a matter of opinion.  I've read John Chambers arguments, but I'm still
not convinced.

(By the way I am convinced about multiple endings - those will happen in
Muse when I get around to it.  The abc support will probably come in even
later, but I'm not arguing about what's wanted).

The history of Muse was that I got fed up with trying to use some other
packages and decided to write my own.  The urgent need was the music (mainly
English) that we played in the Spike Island Band.  A lot of things were more
important than modes so they weren't the first thing I did, but when they
did get on to the wish-list they quickly made it to the top.

I appreciate that you don't like it that way.  You've said so often.  That's
your opinion.  I suspect that your opinion was influenced by writing a
converter to Noteworthy where you didn't have any obvious place to put the
mode.  (Did you stick it in as an annotation [I hope] or did you throw it
away).  No matter.  I recall suggesting you got on to the Noteworthy guys
and ask them to put them in.  Maybe they are not that flexible.  Well if so
that's their problem or your problem, but not mine.  But no matter whatever
the reason for your opinion you are entitled to it.  But understand that I,
too am entitled to mine.  I am actually allowed to like things a particular
way, even if you don't.

And I for one have never written "I want it my way and no other."

Laurie