Jack Campi wrote -

>This is a very good idea, but the semantics I'd need in every instance
>where I've wanted it would be that the *shortest* note counts.

So Eric wants longest note counts, Jack wants shortest note counts, I went
for highest note counts and suggested first note counts....  This could be
tricky.

>This is more reliable than hoping you don't get pedal notes above the
melody.

This sounds more like two voices on the same staff than chords.

>If you insist on the first note for
>counting you're probably going to clash with other uses of note order
>within chords, e.g. the way BarFly uses it to let you specify ties or
>slurs to and from notes within the chord.

Terrifying!  But, again, it sounds more like two voices on the same staff.

>> Does any existing software attach any significance to the order of
>> notes in a chord?
>
>ABC2Win does too.  But there, it's a bug.

This doesn't seem to have any musical significance but is just to make his
processing easier.  I don't see why the progress of abc should be held up for
the sake of one piece of software that doesn't appear to be under development
anymore.

Bryan Creer