In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Chambers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>Bernard Hill writes:
>| In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>| chemnitz.de>, Joerg Anders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>| >
>| >A short remark about this. Somtimes "open source" is equated with
>| >"cost free". But even if I'd produce a Qt-only version, you had
>| >to pay a lot. Not to me but to the Qt developer Trolltech and
>| >to Microsoft.
>|
>| So what encourages the developer to develop code if there is no payment
>| to the developer?
>|
>| I confess I don't understand the Linux setup *at all*.
>
>It's basically simple:  You get something  that  a  lot  of
>people  consider  valuable, an OS and lots of software that
>is very reliable.  And since it's "open", you can dig  into
>it and quickly make it do what you want.  If you find bugs,
>you can fix them yourself.  The only catch is that you have
>to share your fixes with other users. But that's what makes
>it valuable to everyone.
>
>An anecdote from a few years back that illustrates the idea
>in a different form:  I worked on a few projects where some
>of the teams were developing on  Apollo  workstations,  and
>the rest were using Suns.  The Apollo users were baffled by
>why anyone would choose Sun, when for the same performance,
>the Apollo workstations cost half as much.
>
>Invariably, all the teams had problems  that  they  tracked
>down into "the system".  The Apollo users would ask Apollo,
>and be told "We can't tell you;  that's  proprietary."  The
>Sun   users  would  ask  on  the  public  Sun  and/or  unix
>newsgroups, and would usually get an answer  within  hours.
>More  often  than  not,  the  answer  would come from a Sun
>engineer, and very  often  included  big  chunks  of  code.
>"Here's exactly how it works."
>
>Because of this easy access to the innards of  the  system,
>the  teams  working  on  Suns quickly had working products,
>while the Apollo users were still  trying  to  debug  their
>code  without  much understanding what was happening on the
>inside.  Even if the Sun-based  systems  were  a  bit  more
>expensive,  having  a working product was a LOT better than
>not having one.
>
>It should be noted that  Sun  has  since  then  made  their
>systems  a  lot more proprietary.  And now they're facing a
>real challenge from linux.  The explanation  is  the  same:
>Software  developers  on linux can get answers to questions
>very quickly.  Meanwhile,  someone  developing  on  Solaris
>faces  brick  walls  they  can't  get behind.  So the linux
>developers get things to market much more quickly.  Sun  is
>now starting to officially support linux on their boxes.
>
>Notice  that  price  isn't  the  main  concern  here.   The
>important  thing  is  whether, when you have a problem, you
>can get an answer. The "open source" idea is based on this.
>If  the  code is available, a programmer can (in principle)
>find the answer to any question without even asking anyone.
> [...]

... none of that tells me why anyone creates software in the first
place. I do not start projects which are not going to bring money in. I
see clearly that as an end-user having the source code is beneficial -
but what's in it for the programmer who created it?

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software
Author of Music Publisher system
Music Software written by musicians for musicians
http://www.braeburn.co.uk
Selkirk, Scotland