> The standard can be set to say that !...! is a special symbol, and
> developers can programs to read files on that basis UNLESS the
> header contains "abc2win" in which case it is a line break!
> Someone tell me that life really could be that simple!

It isn't.  I really want mid-line ! linebreaks (they're far more
important to me than anything I could achieve with !...! constructs)
and I have been lobbying Phil for years to add them to BarFly,
which doesn't put any creator info in its headers by default.

This isn't a matter of supporting legacy tunes, it's about doing
something mostly new (insofar as abc2win users don't seem to have
yet exploited this possibility in their program the way I want to
use it) AND IT CANNOT BE ACHIEVED BY ANY OTHER MEANS.

Let's hope there are a lot more programs that can use them in future.

Perhaps it might make it clearer why I'm being so insistent about
this if I explain what most of my time using ABC is spent doing.
I spend about a full day a week in the National Library of Scotland
researching things, mostly tunes, which are copied in ABC using a
geriatric Mac laptop that runs BarFly and pair of cheap walkman
headphones.

For the time I'm transcribing tunes, I'm working with rare sources
that I can't afford to have photocopied; the process required by the
library for old and delicate material involves intermediate microfilm,
and usually leads to a fairly bad result anyway, where things like
articulation marks often get lost.  (The NLS's charges, which are
among the lowest in Scotland for rare materials, are still high enough
that if I wanted everything I transcribed to be on xerox first, I could
easily incur a photocopy bill for a day's direct transcribing that was
more than I paid for my laptop).

So I've got no alternative but to get the most accurate transcription
possible on the spot.  The way BarFly works gives me a three-way check
on accuracy:

- does the structure make sense?
- does it sound right?
- does the score on the screen look exactly like what's on the page
  of the original in front of me?

The first is dealt with by the columnar layout I use; I'm mostly
doing things in four- and eight-bar phrases, and if something can't
be laid out to look like that in ABC source form, chances are that
something's gone wrong somewhere, either 250 years ago or in the
previous five minutes.  (BarFly also has error checking utilities
which on average picks up one miskeying every eight bars; I'd find
these manually anyway, but BarFly finds them quicker).  The second
is handled by BarFly's playback (helped by the ability to highlight
the note being played - this means you can move instantly from a
general feeling of "something's not quite right in that phrase" to
"typo on that note").  The third is supported by BarFly's instant
preview (no batch processing or invoking of GhostScript involved -
GhostScript would be unusably big and slow on that laptop anyway).

In this situation I don't have time to process the layout optimized
to show the structure of the tune into some other form before showing
it on the screen - and since I need to identify where any errors are
in my source, what's on the screen has to be directly derived from it.
So I *cannot* afford to have unnecessary built-in conflicts between
source readability and screen readability.  If I want a print-optimized
version by adding graphical tweaks, I'll do it at home; the laptop is
a lousy machine to use for them anyway.  What it is *very* good for is
interactivity, and it's the speed of switching between "structure",
"sound", and "score" modes of perception that makes for accuracy.  But
supporting this is a rather fragile characteristic of a language, which
many syntactic misfeatures could break, and people who haven't used
it in such an interactive environment won't easily spot the important
issues.