>> Usually, I want the program to just decide where to put the line
>> breaks, with a few rare exceptions.
> The solution I'm coming up with on the next release of Music Publisher
> is to provide an editing screen where changes can be made to abc file
> before use. And including a "reflow" command for bars so that it will
> fit on whatever page and stave size you have defined.

Could I suggest that if you do this, you keep the original?  Maybe as
a commented-out appendix to the tune.  If the auther (me for example)
cares about the source layout, they're not going to appreciate having
to set it all out again after your program has clobbered it.

BarFly has something like that, but makes a new copy of the tune as
it does it.  I wouldn't use the feature if it didn't do something
equivalent in practice to that.

You need to separate the two layers of "ABC intended to represent
the music itself" and "ABC intended to represent staff notation for
the music" somehow.  Changing a note or a chord is in the first
layer; using a "y" to make the two halves of a bar more visually
separate than the program wants them to be is in the second.