In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jack Campin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>Gg^fa! g2G2  TA4    |F2 f4    F2 ABcA     |Gg^fa g2G2  TA4    |G2 g4   G2  ABcA
>H::
>
>Notice how easy it is to ignore the linebreaks when reading the source if
>you aren't interested.  That's the point - most of the time you *will*
>ignore them.
>
>I regard the last three characters as optional.  The two-sided repeat at
>the end doesn't mean anything special, and the fermata simply means that's
>where the tune stops (as opposed to "Fine" somewhere else), so :| would
>convey the same meaning.  (The fiddler would probably have ended with a
>big fat three-string G minor chord).

But why would you want to put :: at the end of the tune when :| is
correct notation? Do you really want to see a repeat-both-ways barline
at the end? I think not.

And a fermata over the final bar has no meaning either. You could put it
over the final note, but a fermata over a barline means "a pause here"
and that has no meaning at the end, I suggest.

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software
Author of Music Publisher system
Music Software written by musicians for musicians
http://www.braeburn.co.uk
Selkirk, Scotland