Irwin Oppenheim wrote -

>Abc2win is significantly incompatible with the standard
>that was set by abc2mtex, and worse, its deviations
>have never been documented, up to this day.

Taking the second point first, from the Help files for ABC2WIN -

>The exclamation point will force a new staff line when the tune is drawn-
you need >not necessarily start a new line in the editing window as well......

>Copyright 1996, 1997 jimvintSystems

As to the first point, this is standard setting by precedent of one piece of
software in the absence of a written standard.  You'd better take this up with
Frank Nordberg who says, as an example -

>There is no standard for specifying midi program changes in an ABC file,
>so any claim that BarFly's way is wrong and abc2midi's is right (or vice
>versa) simply have no fundation.

>Syntax like |!: instead of |: is not an extension

Nor is it part of abc2win, it is simply bad abc.  I've only seen it once in a
recent example that someone posted to this list but I've seen

aaaa|
:aaaa

many times.

>You did not notice those Abc2win users that complained
>that their program could not handle lyrics or print
>their tunebook properly?

These are not breaches of the standard.

>This program is hopelessly broken,

something of an exageration

>archaic,

But still adequate for a lot of peoples needs

>totally unsupported

You can understand why Jim Vint may have got a little fed up with the whole
business.

>and not documented.

What?  Have you looked at its Help files?

>Forget about it.

I can't.  It is widely used in the abc files that I am interested in.

It is worth considering this from Chris Walshaw's short history of abc -

>The real explosion in interest came when Jim Vint released his package
abc2win in >September 1995. The tool was taken up by a large number of the members
of >IRTRAD-L and abc's of tunes started appearing regularly.

abc2win's strength is that it is easily accessible to non-geeks.

Bryan Creer