Frank Nordberg writes:
| John Chambers wrote:
|
| > Yeah, and there has been a  slow  inflation  of  "standard"
| > pitch  over  the  several  centuries  that we've had such a
| > concept.
| > One of the explanations that  I've  heard  is  that  string
| > players tend to be leaders in this race.
|
| They do, and singers suffer the most. As standards of living increase,
| the singers gets more well-fed and their voices drop in pitch. At the
| same time, the notes they are supposed to sing go the other way.
| (Everybody who has tried to sing the tenor in a choir perfoming a Bach
| cantate probably winces from bad memories at this point. ;-)

Not just the tenors.  I have a low bass voice, and choral  music  can
get painful after too long a rehearsal, because it's all in the upper
half of my range.  In college, I was in a Russian  choir  for  a  few
years,  and I was one of the two low basses.  It was really fun to be
able to use the bottom half of my  range,  and  actually  be  relaxed
while singing.

But I've generally stuck to instrumental music.  That way  I  can  be
relaxed in any octave.

OTOH, a fun experience a few years back was being in the choir for  a
community  (actually,  the  local  UU church) performance of Bach's B
minor mass.  A lot of the fun was  watching  the  singers  start  off
overwhelmed  and  confused  by what is a complex, opaque work of art,
and slowly coming to really love it.  It really brought out  the  old
observation that Bach was writing for musicians, not audiences.  This
is some music that takes a lot of real work to master. But everyone I
know  who has been in it considers it one of the high points of their
musical experience.

(And his vocal parts were all on the high side. It should be re-scored
as the G minor mass.)