Arent Storm wrote:

>Where it comes to to line continuation in multivoice and/or
>in-line lyrics things can get (unneccessarily) complicated.
>IMO line continuation should be allowed only for single voice.
>For instance, the nicely text-layed-out multivoice canzonetta.abc
>from  the 2.0 standard would become unreadable with
>line continuation used.

Yes, I'm inclined to agree.  The only exception should be
where there is some limitation on line length (e.g. the tune
is going to be emailed), then continuation should only be
used to continue on the following line.

>Also, when using abc to store complex scores, I think that
>human readablity is of very small importance, if at all; it
>will be uncomprehensable anyway.

Not all multivoice scores are impossible to read.  Jack Campin
has some beautifully-constructed abcs of tunes in two or three
voices.

>The 3 different approaches of writing down multivoice I dislike.
>I would very much prefer one approach the:  voice by voice
>
>V1:
>abc|abc|abc|abc
>def|def|def:|
>V2:
>Def|Def|Def:|
>
>over
>
>[V1]:abc|abc|abc|abc|
>[V2]:Abc|Abc|Abc|Abc|
>[V1]:def|def|def:|
>[V2]:Def|Def|Def:|
>
>and (least)
>
>V1:
>abc|abc|abc|abc|
>V2:
>Abc|Abc|Abc|Abc|
>V1:
>def|def|def:|
>V2:
>Def|Def|Def:|

I'd prefer them in the order 2,3,1.

>The first is what MusiCAD is exporting, while importing all three.
>As said before -  in multivoice scores - human readability
>won't have to be/should not be/cannot be a major issue.

BarFly won't be able to display the output from MusiCAD, then.  Why
not give your users the option of all three?  If MusiCAD prints
music it must know where the line ends should come, so options
2 and 3 should be possible.

Phil Taylor