In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Chambers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>My feeling is that the active developers shouldn't be held back by  a
>popular  but obsolete program that isn't being maintained.  This is a
>"slippery slope", as the media calls it, and will  just  invite  more
>such  problems  in  the future.  The practical approach is to add the
>!...! notation to the standard, accept that there  are  old  programs
>that  aren't  compatible  with  this and other minor points, and note
>that there's a simple workaround in this case.

Hear, hear.

As for the use of * as a forced line break, I'm not committed to it. As
far as I can see the formatting of lines is really quite extra to the
function of abc and really the responsibility of a good implementation
program.

But if it has to be I could easily go with * or @ or even a compound
symbol. But the principle of havining one unsupported obsolete program
dictate the new standard is not a good one.

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software
Author of Music Publisher system
Music Software written by musicians for musicians
http://www.braeburn.co.uk
Selkirk, Scotland