Jean-Francois Moine writes:

| >Please explain to me: would there be any difference
| >between [A2g] and [gA2] ?
|
| In a previous discussion, some people wanted the first note to
| give the length of the chord. But later, it seems that everybody
| agreed using the length of the smallest note.

Hmmm ...  I seem to recall that it sorta faded out  without
any  strong  conclusion.   There  are  arguments  for  both
approaches, and examples where each would be somewhat  more
convenient,  but  no  really  decisive  examples  of  one's
superiority.

I'd always supported the first-note-is-length idea, because
that makes it possible to control the results.  If I want a
chord in which one note is sounded briefly  and  the  other
held,  the  shortest-note approach gives me no way to write
it.  [DB4] and [B4D] give the same result, a 1-count chord,
and there's no way to write this so it's length is 4. Well,
you could write [B-D]B3, but that's not nearly as nice. It
looks like syncopation when it isn't.

This example is something I'd like to do, in order to write
detailed  transcriptions of some fiddle music.  It's fairly
common in several fiddle styles to use low  notes  (usually
open  strings) for a rhythmic effect, touching them briefly
on the main beats while the melody continues.   This  often
produces  a long melody note with a very short "bass" note.
If [B4D] has length 4, this works;  if  it  has  length  1,
there's no good way to transcribe this effect.

But this is somewhat a fringe case, and I  can  see  why  a
non-fiddler  might  consider  it  not  worth supporting.  I
wouldn't use it very often,  because  I  prefer  "just  the
melody",  and I'll add such gimmicks myself, thank you very
much.  OTOH, sometimes it's nice to be able to write out  a
detailed  transcription for novice fiddlers.  The result is
very messy and hard to  read,  but  useful  as  a  teaching
device.