> > So the bottom line is:  it would be nice if both "!"
> > and "*" could be used to notate a staffbreak. The
> > people who do not use !...! won't be bothered by it,
> > and the people who use decorations will have an easier
> > time.
>
> We're into the territory of defining new stuff here. As I said before, I
> suggest it may be preferrable to invent *decoration* instead.

There is a good historical basis for precisely using
"*" as a staff break operator, alongside the "!"
operator. Namely, in abc2mtex it was already in use to
force right-justified line breaks.

It's a piece of cake to implement "*" as an alias for
the "!" operator, so I don't think it's worth a long
discussion. There are more important things happening
in the world, even in the ABC world.

Let's take a pragmatic stance. Users that don't like
the "*" operator need not use it, users that like it
should be able to use it. Period.

 Groeten,
 Irwin Oppenheim
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]