Bert Van Vreckem wrote:
> Bernard Hill wrote:
>> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bert Van Vreckem
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>>> It is used at least in Irish music as a general ornamentation mark. I've
>>> come across the notation a.o. in "Traditional Irish Music: Karen Tweed's
>>> Irish Choice," Dave Mallinson Publications, 1994.
>>
>> Thanks. But what does it mean? What would say an autoharp make of it,
>> say perhaps to make it a tremolo.
>
> It means "play any ornamentation here". The exact meaning is unspecified.

True, more or less -- but then you could say in Irish music that *all*
ornamentation is optional and could be played any way you like -- I know
some Irish musicians who rarely if ever play the same tune the same way
twice.

But at least semi-officially, a "roll" in the Irish and Scottish tradition
is one of several mechanisms used by fiddle, flute, tinwhistle, and pipes
players to handle repeated identical notes without requiring a break in the
sound.  Fiddle players use it to do the notes in one long bow stroke, flute
and tin whistle players use it for playing them in one breath without
tonguing, and pipers (bag- & uilean) use it because they need *something* to
interrupt the repeated notes -- you don't stop a pipe from making noise
easily.  And other instrument players don't need it for any reason, but it
sounds good. <grin>  (I use rolls frequently when playing Irish music on my
Hammered Dulcimer, for example...)

The roll basically inserts higher and lower notes in-between the identical
notes.  What it works out to is this:  Say a tune has a point somewhere that
has three A notes in a row.  You might write this down as a single 3 beat A
note with a roll ornament.  When you play it, you will actually play 5
slightly shorter notes in the same timeframe, most frequently ABAGA, but
I've seen people play it AGABA or even some other combination -- it's a very
loose convention.  And there can be longer rolls, but the basic concept is
you are rolling up and down around the specified note.

That all said, I don't think I've ever actually *seen* any Irish music with
a roll ornament actually placed (didn't even know there was a symbol for it
until I read this thread...) -- as I said before, Irish players prefer to
ornament as they see fit, so the idea of actually writing an ornament on the
music seems like you're telling them they can't do that...  Of course, most
of my written Irish music is tin whistle oriented -- maybe that symbol is
used more in fiddle or pipe music.

-->Steve Bennett