| In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Chambers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
| >The best comparison I've seen is:  Suppose you were to find
| >a piece of music written with two sharps (^f^c), and as you
| >played it, you realized that every G had a sharp added, and
| >it really was in A major. You'd probably be annoyed, right?
|
| Not particularly. Many editions of Bach have that, we classical
| musicians are quite used to it.

Yeah; that's a variant on the earlier note about him  using
a  dorian  keysig  for  minor.  In a couple of his works, I
think that he really did do a  count  of  accidentals,  and
picked  a  key  signature  that minimized them.  This isn't
surprising,  since  our  modern  concept  of  standard  key
signatures really hadn't stabilized then.

| .. Horn parts in orchestral music never have any key
| signature, the accidentals are all written in as they occur.

Yeah; someone pointed that out recently. To me, this argues
for an option telling the software to put the entire keysig
into the music.  An abc player has to do this in any  case.
It  would be really handy if an abc formatting program like
the abc2ps clones could also  do  this.   I  can  think  of
several   good   uses   for   it.   In  an  orchestral/band
arrangement, it could be useful to retarget a part to horns
by  by  changing  the transpose= term and asking for no key
signatures.  Then you could use a single  source  file  for
several arrangements for different sets of instruments.

| The notion of "tonic" is what I think you are referring to, and that is
| something that comes out of the actual music as heard, not the notation.
| However I concede it's a good thing to have in software which searches
| the K: field for tonics.

Staff notation does tell us that stating the tonic isn't an
absolute  necessity.   But  a lot of people seem to like to
know it.  And it can be nice information to have  available
when you're trying to put together a set of tunes.

| So what point are you making about the abc standard? I got a bit lost in
| that above :-)

Basically just arguing for a very flexible and general  way
of writing key sigs.  The K:<tonic><mode> approach is quite
useful, and probably covers at least  2/3  of  the  world's
music. But the proposed K:<tonic><mode><accidentals> scheme
will handle most of the rest, especially  if  most  of  the
possible omissions are allowed.  (You obviously require the
tonic if you have a mode, but the  other  subsets  are  all
meaningful and useful.)

One of the interesting aspects of this was pointed  out  by
someone a while ago; it may have been Jack Campin.  This is
that, although a lot of  musical  styles  use  scales  that
don't  fit our 12-note octave, this turns out to not matter
too much.   Most  kinds  of  music  have  adopted  European
notation. This works because hardly anyone uses scales that
have more than 7 notes in an octave. The few that appear to
have  more  are like the classical minor, in that they have
different ascending and descending forms. But each of these
is at most 7 notes. So you can use the Western 7-note scale
with accidentals.  You just need to tell people how to tune
the  scale  at  the  beginning.   Most  musical styles have
standard names for such tunings.

So you rarely actually need "microtone" notation; you  just
use  a  conventional  scale name to map your scale to the 7
notes (plus accidentals) of the Western staff.

In fact, this would be a good use of the  mode=  term  that
has  been  proposed.   It would give a standard way to name
such scales.  Software aimed at these other musical  styles
could then display this name in the conventional manner.