On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 10:08:13PM +0200, I. Oppenheim wrote:

> -- The debated section on Key sigs reads now as
> follows:
>
> <<...
> The key signatures may be modified by adding
> accidentals, according to the format "K:<tonic> <mode>
> <accidentals>". For example, "K:D Phr ^f" would give a
> key signature with two flats and one sharp, which
> designates a very common mode in e.g. Klezmer (Ahavoh
> Rabboh) and in Arabic music (Maqam Hedjaz). Likewise,
> "K:Dmaj =c" will give a key signature with f sharp and
> c natural. Note that there can be several modifying
> accidentals, separated by spaces, each beginning with
> an accidental sign ('__', '_', '=', '^' or '^^'),
> followed by a letter in lower case.

What about the cases where notes in different octaves
have different accidentals ? I don't see why "notes" in the key
signature couldn't take the full normal ABC value, with uppercase
and lowercase and  , and ' as necessary, so that somebody could
express a key signature with different accidentals for a note in each
octave right up and down the scale. Why do we have to forbid everything
we can't think of a use for ? Other people have already expressed a wish
for this, John has already said so for anybody that missed it.

> It is possible to use the format "K:<tonic> exp
> <accidentals>" to explicitly define all the accidentals
> of a key signature. Thus "K:D Phr ^f" could also be
> notated as "K:D exp _b _e ^f", where 'exp' is an
> abbreviation of 'explicit'.

??
Is "K:D exp _b _e ^f" different from "K:D _b _e ^f" ?
Where does this come from, has it been mentioned before ?

--
Richard Robinson