In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Chambers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>Bernard Hill writes:
>| In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Chambers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>writes
>| >
>| >%%staves [Fl1 Fl2] ... [V1 V2 Va Vc] [S A T B] [{HR HL} {OR OL OP}]
>|
>| String parts in an orchestral work are usually bracketed together (5
>| staves) and the top two then braced (1st/2nd violins) outside the
>| bracket.
>|
>| [{Vln1 Vln2} Vla Vc DB]
>
>Yes, and I've also seen this in band scores, where you often have
>two of a lot of instruments:
>
>  [{Fl1 Fl2} {Cl1 Cl2} {Tr1 Tr2} ...]

Interesting. In orchestral scores the flutes (etc) would share a stave.

>The outer brackets often surround the entire band, so  you  can  have
>two or three systems on a page and they are visually separate.
>
>I wonder if there are cases of brackets within braces?
>
>Of course, mathematicians regularly use parens, brackets  and  braces
>interchangeably, simply to make it easier to see the groupings.  I've
>often wished that programming languages allowed this. But most people
>other than mathematicians seem to want all the grouping chars to mean
>something different.

I've never seen anything like that. Braces go outside of brackets, and
the only levels I have ever seen are exactly that.

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software
Author of Music Publisher system
Music Software written by musicians for musicians
http://www.braeburn.co.uk
Selkirk, Scotland