Phil Taylor wrote:

The second part of the tune sounds good, but I'm not convinced by the first part. It's mainly the big interval from g to E which sounds odd.

I don't know. It sounded odd to me too at first, but now I really like that detail.

Then again, we're used to hearing tunes composed for the fiddle, where
that would be a difficult interval to play.  On a diatonically - fretted
instrument tuned in the way you suggest it would be perfectly easy,
and might have been common in tunes of the day.

The mystery deepens!
I more or less stated in a previous post that the fiddle was indeed the original instrument for this tune, but Phil is right: that passage would be really difficult on a bowed instrument.
Even so - I can't find a way to correct Jack's typo and retain a musically satisfying result without removing the frets.
Does anybody know of a plucked fretless instrument from that period?
Or does anybody have a different solution to the problem?

Frank Nordberg
http://www.musicaviva.com