On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:42:00 +0100, Emma wrote
> > You should run the .bat file with the name of the input
> > file as argument, thus:
>
> >   test.bat d:\muziek\test.abc
>
> > Succes ermee en laat me weten of het nu wel goed gaat
> > :-)
>
> Thanks a lot, Irwin, it does work indeed! Not that complicated
> really, as long as you don't try to run it from Windows Explorer...
> :-)

...if you want to do that, you can tweak your explorer a little:

1st:  open WinExplorer and open the dialog FileTypes
(or FileExtensions or whatever it is called on your system).
you should find it via ->Tools->FolderOptions->FileTypes.
you should see a list with all filetypes the explorer "knows".

2nd:  create an new entry for abc-files:
-  click "New Filetype..." to get a form to define the new filetype
-  type in a nice description, say "ABC Music Notation".
This descr' will be displayed in the 2nd column (type) of your explorer's
filelist (if you use the "details"-view)
-  type in the filename-extension for your new filetype: abc
Now your explorer will assume that all files named with this
suffix (i.e. MyTunes.abc) are ABC-Music-Notation files.

3rd:  define the actions to perform on this new filetype:
In the lower part of the form you should see a (still empty) list of
"Actions". If not you have to click an "extended"-button or something like
that, to show the list (depends on your system XP,98,2000,...)
Click "New.." to define a new action. You'll see an other form:
-  type in a name for your action, i.e. "abc2ps" or "make ps"
-  define the action to perform. that means name the exe- or bat-file or
whatever, which is to call _a_n_d_ name the parameters and switches, that you
need. Define as many actions as you want. For instance:

 action-name: "abc to ps"     // or what ever you want
 program-to-call: "c:\somewhere\abcm2ps.exe %1 -o -O ="

 action-name: "edit with NOTEPAD"
 program-to-call: "c:\somewhere\NOTEPAD.exe %1"

(_d_o_n_'_t_ _t_y_p_e_ the double-quotes)

----------
After this it should be possible to right-click any abc-file
to get a popup-menu with your self-defined actions - just click and enjoy ;-)
Usually one of them is listed boldface. This is the default-action which is
performed when you double-click the file. Somehow you can also define which
action should be the default (have a look in FolderOptions->FileTypes->.. again).

Note: the examples above don't use the .bat-file. we now call the command
directly, which was inside the bat-file before. But if you need/want you can
also call the bat or any other script or executable via this method.

hope it helps

---------
?? Is any body out there, who can tell me to do the above procedure from
cmd-line|in a script|installer or so?

thanks

toni