> I admittedly haven't thought about this, but offhand, it seems to
> me that it would be useful to identify country-dependendent parameters.
> Clearly, paper size is one---A4 seems standard in Western Europe, letter
> size in US and Canada (but what about former Eastern-block countries,
> and what about Mexico and South and Central America?)

Minuscule sample: I am currently using a school notebook from Georgia
(the real one) which I bought at a street market in north-east Turkey
in 1991.  It's 28cm x 20.5cm, i.e. narrower than US Letter and shorter
than A4.

I am an old-stationery freak.  If anyone needs to know the format of
a Bermuda Police notebook from the 1960s (handy as a travel notebook)
or a Hill, Norman and Beard organ-tuner's logbook (actually I've only
got the plastic cover now) or a University of Pittsburgh exam script
book from the 1970s (ideal for torrential stream-of-consciousness love
letters) just ask away, but I wouldn't really recommend printing music
on any of them.