Don,
You've got me a bit puzzled here. I've been using MusicTime for years and had no problem exporting MIDI (.mid) files from it., or importing a MIDI file to turn into a score.  What's the actual problem you're having - just in case I'm able to help at all.
Kevin.

Don Parrish-Bell wrote:
Do I detect a bit of sarcasm there, Neil?

Ok, so one part of my problem is easily solvable by various means (import a MIDI file to extract a workable source score), so my next question for all of you is does anyone know of a program that will record a MIDI stream that is being played through the sound card and store it into a MIDI file.  Since Music Time seems too limited to export a score into a MIDI-formatted file, this might be a solution.

thank you,
Don