On 31 Mar 2004, at 00:53, Jack Campin wrote:

Phil Taylor wrote:
there is a
bug in Quicktime 6 which causes long notes to be truncated (played
staccato) when generating a midi file.  If you can use Quicktime movie
files instead of midi it's not a problem.  Likewise if you can use a
pre- OS X operating system you can use Quicktime 4 (last good one).
The problem happens when the delta time for note lengths requires more
than two bytes to express it, so another possible work around is to
generate the midi file at a fast tempo to keep all delta times within
two bytes, then use a midi editor to change the tempo.

Yuck. And the duration required isn't all that long either.

Is there a tool for bulk conversion of QT movie files to MIDIs?
That would be easier if it existed.

No, and if there were it would depend on Quicktime, and would suffer from
the same bug as BarFly and Quicktime Player Pro.

Just what has been going wrong with the QuickTime development process that they've shipped such buggy products for so long?

The guys that designed Quicktime Music Architecture left Apple, and were
not replaced. QTMA itself was not successful. Although it plays
music beautifully it has a complex and confusing API, only really of
interest to musician programmers (as opposed to those who just want to
record and playback audio). Very few programs depend on it. The rest of
Quicktime _has_ been successful, but the introduction of OS X with its
built-in Core Audio has resulted in QTMA being sidelined.

The last time I discussed these problems with an Apple engineer he said
that I really ought to be using Core audio instead.  Trouble is, CA
starts with midi.  I'd have to re-write my software to generate midi
instead of a QTMA tune to use it, in which case I would have solved
the original problem anyway!

Phil Taylor