> I'd like to propose a variant (to be signaled by a flag, say V:-, in the
> header) where whitespace within a measure becomes the delimiter for
> beats.
>
> %Example 1

Well, your system can't do anything that abc can't do already. All your
proposal does is to bring in a more difficult readability and significant
problems with parsing to midi or other code. I can't see there are any
advantages in it. Since all of us use abc since years and are perfectly
accustomed to read it - whenever I write down a piece of music from MP3 or
minidisc I listen to a line, write it down, play it once more and compare
what I hear to what I have written (without converting the written to sheet
music), I'd say that making any such changes would force me to learn a new
system although the old one works perfectly well.

Ulf