It DOES makes a great deal of sense to move the abcusers list over to
SourceForge. It unifies the discussion forum with a large part of the abc
software development, and that seems like a good thing indeed.

However, I could see that non-open-source developers might feel that this
puts them in an odd place. Would it?

The abc-discuss list, as part of the abc Project, is itself pretty quiet but
has essentially the same focus as this list, albeit framed in the specific
context of the abc Project software development.

  or
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum=abc-discuss

In fact, the last message posted to it, back in January, was from someone
trying to write a parser in JavaCC for ABC 2.0, based on Henrik Norbeck"s
BNF spec for ABC 2.0!

Should abc-discuss itself incorporate the abcusers membership or should a
separate abcusers list, with a scope broader than the nominal mission of
abc-discuss, be created along side it? That is, is there a problem with
broadening the scope of abc-discuss to include the wider range of topics
(including abcPlus software, non-open-source software, musicxml, and
announcements for software which are not strictly abc programs)?

If either of the above are thought to be a good ideas, it could just be a
consensus move for everyone on this list to subscribe to the other at
SourceForge and, when it appears that the main players have migrated, call
for a mass unsubscribe from abcusers.

It does appear that we would all individually have to register with
SourceForge in order to subscribe, so that might be a minor obstacle.
[Luckily, I managed to remember my SourceForge login from several years ago
and was able to subscribe to abc-discuss pretty easily.]

If we do decide to jump ship from abcusers, we will need to have Toby kill
off the subscription page for this list and add links to the new
subscription page. Else, the old list will get newbies signing up to the
"wrong" list.

Just my 2p.

--
Tom Keays / [EMAIL PROTECTED]