Neil Jennings wrote:

I still think my suggestion is more general, as it allows the internal part name (one letter) to be totally independent of the displayed text (Part description).

Remo's proposal would only allow one word (part name) to start with each letter. Therefore if there was a part Coda, there could not be any other part whose name started with C. (Using letters within a word would get confusing)