John Walsh wrote:
[snip]
        A couple of questions.

        If I read the abcm2ps documentation correctly, it's
possible to have two implicitly-defined voices on each staff
(making three voices in all) one gotten with "&" and the other
with "&&."  (The limitation seems to come from the need to
distinguish voices by note-staff directions.)  Is there any need
for more than this?

Four voices in a same staff are very common in guitar pieces (and even in Bach's solo violin pieces), although I don't know a ABC program that can manage that cleanly (abcm2ps is in the way).

I don't know what is your abcm2ps version, but with the current version (abcm2ps-4.8.0) this code works fine:

X:1
M:3/4
L:1/4
K:C clef=treble
c'd'e' & cde & CDE & F,G,A, |

I didn't see in abcm2ps-4.8.0 documentation an explicit limit for the number of temporary voices, or the difference between & and &&.

This difference is described in the 3.7.1 documentation, but `Note 2' says that && was not implemented.

`Note 1' is related to the following question:

The abcm2ps documentation mentions the problem of
distinguishing "(&" from the beginning of a slur, but is that a
real problem? Can't one just treat "(&" as a special case like
"(3" for a triplet? If it should be absolutely necessary to have
a slur just before an "&", then add a space between them: "( &". (Of course, there remains the question of whether that slur
applies to one voice, or to all. Hey---that's someone else's
problem.)

Please note that the syntax for voice overlay is different in the two versions I cited above. The abcm2ps-3.7.1 uses the delimitators ( ) -- i.e the same as slurs; the new versions use (& and &) [without spaces], so there is not more that problem with the slurs.

-

One interesting thing in abcm2ps-3.7.1 description is that & and && differs as regards the *stem direction* (but this is another story...).

Hudson