Hi.

Jason raised a concern [1] that HTML5 meter has different semantics than
HTML5 progress. HTML meter is defined [2] as

The meter <https://www.w3.org/TR/html5/forms.html#the-meter-element>
element represents <https://www.w3.org/TR/html5/dom.html#represents> a
scalar measurement within a known range, or a fractional value; for example
disk usage, the relevance of a query result, or the fraction of a voting
population to have selected a particular candidate.

HMTL5 progress is defined [3] as

The progress <https://www.w3.org/TR/html5/forms.html#the-progress-element>
element represents <https://www.w3.org/TR/html5/dom.html#represents> the
completion progress of a task. The progress is either indeterminate,
indicating that progress is being made but that it is not clear how much
more work remains to be done before the task is complete

Do we want a new role to express HTML5 meter semantics, because it's not a
progress semantically, it's rather a way to visualize scalar data of a
certain range. I'd say that HTML5 progress element is a special case
semantically of HTML5 meter.

Thanks.
Alex.

[1] https://github.com/w3c/html-aam/issues/2