Disabled students turn to foreign universities

Swastika Mehta

Saturday, September 23, 2006 (New Delhi):

The lack of infrastructure on campus for students who are visually impaired or
hearing impaired has now forced several of them to look at foreign universities.
Smriti, 22, is an M Phil student at Jawaharlal Nehru University and among the 1
per cent visually impaired students in the country to reach this educational
level. But her journey so far has been a difficult one.
"There are no facilities in India. I have to do everything on my own. I have to
go to libraries, scan all my books. It's a struggle, visually challenged
people work more than sighted people," she says.
Smriti wants to make a crossover in every sense of the word. After completing
her M Phil in Mythology, she plans to go to Chicago University for a doctorate
in Disability Studies.
"Here we don't even have books and computers. Some people are from such poor
families that they don't even have a tape recorder to study from," she adds.
Better infrastructure
For disabled students, the West promises full fledged universities like the
Gallaudet University in Washington DC for the hearing impaired and better
physical
infrastructure on campuses.
What's more, it opens up a whole new world of job opportunities.
For instance Jagdish, who is hearing impaired and a class X pass out, has with
grave difficulty managed to get a job as a teacher at the School for Deaf.
He earns a meagre amount of Rs 6,000 every month and has been limited by the
fact that signing is not recognised as a language, like it is in the West.
He was unable to study courses like Engineering and Medical Science.
"Abroad, there are deaf and dumb pilots," says Jagdish.
"There are only few of us who have family support and can thus afford to go
abroad," adds Smriti.
Looking West
Twenty five-year-old Shobhan, a PhD student at JNU, took his GREs last year. He
is waiting to arrange a scholarship to go to the US.
Though the Centre provides scholarships to Dalit, tribal and Muslim students
who want to pursue higher education abroad, there is no government scholarship
for students with disabilities.
"If I put it simply, we can't even walk freely here. We don't have
accessibility like we have in the US," complains Shobhan.
For students like Smriti and Shobhan, it's a mixture of both ambition and
disillusionment that pushes them to apply to universities in the West.
Ambition to find a place under the sun and disillusionment as there is lack of
infrastructure in India.

http://www.ndtv.com/template/template.asp?category=National&template=Education&slug=Disabled+students+rue+lack+of+facilities&id=93668&callid=1