An Eye-Opener

Mumbai Mirror Reader

Mirror reader Shoeb Hakim could not believe his eyes
when he saw a blind man weave a chair with the
perfection of a skilled craftsman

Two days back, during my visit to the BMC licence
office in Bandra, I saw something that left me
stupefied.

A blind man stumbled on the stairs and was helped back
to his feet by some others present nearby. On getting
up the man asked, “Who called me here to repair
the chair?”

An official told him that all chairs were all right
and didn’t need repairs.

The man asked the officer to re-check insisting that
he had been called for repair work.

On re-checking, the official found a broken chair.

Within moments, the blind man took out his tools and
began repairing the chair with the precision of a
skilled craftsman. It was a sight that I will never
forget for the rest of my life.

I request fellow Mumbaikars to help this man. We waste
money on useless causes such as sending SMSes for TV
shows, on firecrackers etc. Why not spend some
money for a noble and genuine cause and help such men
by providing them jobs.