Courier Mail, November 11
Perfect puppy love
By: Andrea Lunt
WHILE both sides of the science of genetics debate continue to go head to head
across the world, Lauren Elgie, from Guide Dogs Queensland, goes quietly about
her business.
Lauren is a geneticist who is trying to breed the perfect guide dog -- a feat
which will help out hundreds of vision-impaired people across Queensland.
Lauren said she loved being able to combine her fondness for animals with her
fascination with genetics.
``I was always interested in genetics and how it applied to animal breeding,''
Lauren said.
``I find it fascinating that natural selection can actually be modified and be
sped up and you can get to a result more quickly than what nature would take
you to it.
``The guide dog industry allows you to do that. You're trying to mould a dog
type into something that's better.
``It's also great to be able to do that and help a community like the sight
impaired.''
Animal-lover Lauren has worked with Guide Dogs Queensland for seven months as
the breeding and dog supply manager.
Her role is to supply the puppy development program with quality potential
guide dogs.
To do that, she is continually searching for breeding dogs with traits that
will produce robust, compliant and clever puppies.
``We're always aiming for a sound, perfect dog but they don't come along very
often so what we're aiming for is consistency.''
Lauren studies the genes of animals all across Australia and matches dogs that
will hopefully create successful litters.
Being a ``cupid of the dog world'' allows her to travel.
She recently visited the San Francisco guide dogs school in the United States
to study potential breeding dogs.
``The exciting thing about this job at the moment is that technology is
booming,'' she said.
``We fly frozen semen back from America so I'm able to produce litters out of
dogs that are on the other side of the world.
``The international schools are able to share a lot more now because of that
frozen technology. To be able to do that it just fantastic.''
Lauren, who is originally from the small town of Oamaru on New Zealand's south
island, was surrounded by animals when she was younger, having grown up with
parents who bred ridgebacks.
Spending so much time with dogs in her childhood inspired a love of animals and
motivated her to find a career working with all things great and small.
To fulfil her dream, Lauren completed a Bachelor of Science (Genetics and
Biochemistry) and then a Masters degree in veterinary studies.
She left university determined to work with dogs and got a job at a guide dogs
school in NZ.
Earlier this year, she moved to Australia to improve the success rates of
puppies at Guide Dogs Queensland .
Lauren said the Guide Dogs Queensland school presented a new challenge.
``Here it was a new colony and it needed development and it was a challenge
building something from scratch,'' Lauren said.
``Before I got here, they were breeding 25 pups a year and we've more than
doubled in a short space of time,'' she said.