Friday, August 3 2007

Dr. Manoj Kumar

Chief Commissioner Disabilities.

GOVT of India, New Delhi.

Dear Dr. Manoj Kumar,

Sub- Petition under PD Act 1995 for appropriate and
immediate action.

I Victor John Cordeiro,   hereby file this petition to
you under Persons
With Disabilities Act 1995 with regard to the most
unfortunate, shocking,
deadly,
brutal and inhuman incident which instigated 11
Disabled People to commit
suicide and which led to the very unfortunate death of
5 disabled people.  I
would like to bring the following detailed news to
your kind attention  so
that you can initiate appropriate and immediate action
about to make justice
to the victims of this unfortunate and barbaric
incident.

This incident cannot be ignored and violation of human
rights of people with
disabilities cannot be excused any more.

Herewith I am attaching the following note reported by
news  for your kind
perusal and action.

Look forward for prompt and positive response.

Thank you very much in anticipation for your
appropriate and timely action.

With warm regards,

Victor.

Police probe TV channels' role in death by poison of
five protestors

http://in.rd.yahoo.com/expressnews/SIG=11738n0j1/**http%3A%2F%2Fwww.expressindia.com%2F

By IE

Thursday August 2, 02:20 AM

Amid police claims of a media-instigated
self-poisoning, three more of the
11 disabled people who were hospitalised yesterday in
Varanasi after
allegedly

consuming a substance died today, taking the number of
dead to five. Five
other are recovering while one Rajesh Chaurasia is
battling for his life at
the

BHU Hospital here.

Varanasi police today arrested two persons - Namo
Upadhyay and Ravi Nath
alias Ravinder Nath - on the charge of providing
poison, and said TV
channels Star

News and IBN7 are being probed for their role in the
incident. Both the
channels have also been named in the FIR lodged with
Laksha police station.

The five dead have been identified as Rajesh,
Tribhuvan, Mangaroo, Guru Deo
and Ram Chandra.

The 11 shop owners allegedly consumed a poisonous
substance in Gurubagh area
of Varanasi on Tuesday in an apparent suicide attempt.
Fear of losing their

makeshift kisoks to an ongoing anti-encroachment drive
by the municipal
corporation was said to be the reason but the local
police chief, S P
Shirodkar,

told The Indian Express that the incident might have
been instigated by
reporters of the two news channels.

Shirodkar, who is Varanasi's Senior Superintendent of
Police, said the
police had registered an FIR on the basis of a
complaint lodged by one Ram
Lal Kesari.

The FIR says one tablet each was given to all the
physically challenged
persons who had gathered at a spot in Gurubagh area to
protest the
anti-encroachment

drive.

Shirodkar had earlier told Express that the
shopkeepers were told they were
consuming a mild intoxicant and were assured of wide
media coverage. "They
were

also told that they would be unconscious for just
three to four hours," he
said.

District Magistrate Ms Veena told Express the police
are examining the role
of both channels in this episode. "They have live
footage of the incident.
One

member of the channel team is a relative of one
arrested person," she said.

The victims undergoing treatment at the BHU hospital
today backed
Shirodkar's version of what happened yesterday. They
told Express they had
consumed the

tablets thinking it was a medicine to make them
unconscious for a few hours.
"I though the tablet was a sedative... I have five
daughters. My good friend

Tribhuvan died today," said Muhhammed Nasik, a
physically challenged person.

Khalidur Rahman is not even a kiosk owner. "I am a
beggar. But I enjoyed the
company of kisok owners," Rahman, who is disabled in
both his legs, said.
Asked

about his decision to swallow the tablet, Rehman said:
"One person persuaded
me to consume the tablet, saying it would prompt the
government to give me

money."

Meanwhile, Star News correspondent Pankaj Srivastava
said the administration
was framing his channel. "Everyone knew for the last
two days that they
would

be committing suicide. I cannot understand why only we
are being named when
many more people were present at the spot," Srivastava
said in Lucknow.

Star News correspondent in Varanasi, Shailesh, said:
"Our only fault is that
we reached the spot early and informed senior police
officers about it."

The state bureau chief of IBN7, Abhishek Upadhyaya,
said, "It is wrong to
frame any correspondent in this case. Victims had sent
letters to all
district

chiefs of police and administration and everyone was
aware of their plans."