dear bhavya,
don't know the reason  for denial as there is nothing sort of any
restrictions to join the group. i will surely check it out with the
owners as you suggested. before doing the same, may i please request
you to forward the denial message to my personal id or the reply
message in response to your subscription request as it might have
contained the message id followed by the link to confirm your
subscription request this will enable me to communicate more
specifically with them.
  thanks,