Hi.

Greetings…

The topic on the list triggered me too to write, as it reminded me
about the Term Paper(Secondary Research) carried out by me in my
second year PG Course on , CREATIVE TEACHING METHODS FOR SPECIAL NEEDS
CHILDREN!

Sharing with you all just a short relevant portion from it!

Meaning of Special Education
Special education refers to the teaching of learning-disabled students
in ways outside of the norm. This is done by giving students more
individual attention than they would normally receive. Therefore
special education programs are typically more expensive per capita
than their counterparts. Nowadays, it; is common for special education
training to be a requirement to become a certified teacher.
(M. L Dhawan, 2005).

ADVANTAGES OF SPECIAL EDUCATION
 Special Attention- Special schools provide students with individual
attention that they would likely not receive in public schools. As a
result, learning and development can occur more rapidly and children
are not ignored or neglected due to not being able to keep pace with
the rest of the class.
Teacher Training- Teachers in special schools are specifically trained
to deal with students with needs. They have the knowledge and tools
necessary to educate the students, and they have an understanding of
how students' disabilities affect their ability to learn. The teachers
also possess the patience needed to work with special students
Sense Of Belonging- Special schools promote a sense of inclusion among
the students. Rather than feeling like they are outsiders, special
students can bond with others with similar disabilities. This can help
them develop a sense of confidence and self-esteem.
DISADVANTAGES OF SPECIAL EDUCATION
Lack of Socialization- A disadvantage of this feeling of inclusion can
occur when the student attempts to return to public school or to
assimilate into regular society. They may have difficulty relating to
others who are not like them, so they may feel like outcasts. In some
instances, the student may not be able to function outside of the
school's environment.
Expense- Unlike public schools, special schools often require parents
to pay money out of their own pocket for their child to attend. If the
cost is prohibitive, the parents may not be able to provide the child
with the needed special attention. In some cases, grants or government
aid can help lessen the financial burden.
http://www.ehow.com/list_5970010_advantages-disadvantages-special-
schools.htm l#ixzz1E0yaZ300UG

CONCEPT AND MEANING OF INCLUSIVE EDUCATION:
As we had seen above, there is Special Education approach which can be
adopted to teach the children with disability wherein the child will
be segregated from the normal school and will be given training
separately, while at the same time there is also an Inclusive
Education Approach which can be adopted where the Differently Abled
Child can be a part of a Normal School and can learn with the normal
children just by adopting certain Creative and Special techniques to
teach them. There has been a lot of talk about mainstreaming
differently abled students with normal student but teachers have to
have the special skills to teach these differently abled students for
which this paper will try to provide guidance.

Inclusive education means all learners, young people - with or without
disabilities being able to learn together in ordinary schools and
community educational setting with appropriate network of support
services. In inclusive education the needs of all learners are
addressed so that good education can be provided to all. However,
since the learners with disabilities form one of the largest groups
that are still out of the fold of general education, the target group,
therefore, on which this scheme will focus, would be learners with
disabilities. The term 'learners with disabilities' will cover visual
impairments (Blind and Low Vision), speech and hearing impairments,
Locomotor disabilities, neuromusculoskeltal neurodevelopmental
disorders including cerebral Palsy, Autism, mental retardation,
multiple disability and learning disabilities
(M. L Dhawan, 2005).

 ADVANTAGES OF INCLUSIVE EDUCATION
 Effective Learning- In inclusive education, children with and without
disabilities is all expected to study, learn, read, and write. By
having higher expectations for children with disabilities coupled with
good and effective instruction, they quickly learn academic skills.
Because the philosophy and mission of inclusive education is intended
to help all students to learn, all children in the class benefit from
the method of instruction. Based on evidence from the National Center
for Education Restructuring and Inclusion, children with disabilities
in the classroom tend to show academic achievement in several areas
including improved performance on mastery of IEP goals, standardized
tests, motivation to study and learn, overall good grades and
classroom behavior. Also, children with disabilities who are
instructed under general educational settings have scored higher on
literacy than those children educated in segregated classrooms
Increased Understanding- When students participate in classes that
mimic the differences and similarities of individuals in the outside
or real world, they naturally learn to accept diversity.
Understanding, acceptance, and respect grow as the children with
differing cultures and abilities interact with each other. Inclusive
classrooms also create venues where children form and develop
friendships with each other while strengthening their social and
interactive skills. Children with differing abilities will learn from
each other. Because it creates a solid group, the inclusive classroom
promotes the civil rights of all students, provides support to the
social value of equality and respect, teaches collaborative and
socialization skills, builds interdependence and support between
students, promotes social peace, and provides children a micro model
of the real world.
Normal Lives-For families with disabled children, the dream of living
a normal life comes true thanks to inclusive classrooms. Of course,
all parents want their kids to live normally: have friends, be
accepted by others, and have regular activities. Inclusive classrooms
make this a reality for children with disabilities. Through inclusive
settings, children with disabilities can achieve a sense of belonging
with diverse groups of people. Therefore, it provides a good venue for
learning and growing. In terms of socialization, children learn to
develop friendships while enhancing self-respect.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6319537_advantages-inclusive-education.html#ixzz1E0zcgM1V
DISADVANTAGES OF INCLUSIVE EDUCATION
Since the 1975 Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) was
passed, it has been mandated that students with disabilities must be,
to every extent possible, afforded an education that is inclusive with
the regular education environment. Special education programs in
school systems have made attempts to ensure that students are placed
in inclusive education classes, sometimes with a separate resource
classroom for homework and study skills. There have been some benefits
to these inclusive classroom environments, but there have been
concerns expressed as well.
General Education Practices have not changed enough -Inclusion may not
have changed teaching practices in the regular education classroom
enough to benefit special needs students who are integrated into the
classroom. Most classrooms tend to teach to average level students and
it can be difficult for the learning disabled student to keep up with
the pace of the classroom. Regular education teachers may resent
slowing the classroom pace for the few special needs students, as they
feel it might be detrimental to the majority of students in the
classroom.
Not Enough Teacher Training- Regular education teachers often do not
have the appropriate training or education to understand the needs of
students who have disabilities. A teacher is not able to provide
special needs students with enough care or attention in the classroom,
so the student falls behind or acts out behaviorally. Even the most
flexible teacher can have difficulty. Due to continued demands for
standardized testing or other academic standards, she may be unable to
be as creative in teaching as she might otherwise be.
Lack of Funding for Appropriate Resources-Some of the detriments of
inclusive education could be minimized if the regular education
classroom had the appropriate resources available for teachers. For
example, inclusive classrooms can be benefited by having a teacher's
aid or paraprofessional in the classroom to assist the regular
education teacher with behavioral issues, study skills and assignments
of special needs students. Funding for these resources is sparse
though, so the teacher may find that keeping control of a large
inclusive classroom is beyond his abilities.
Lower Educational Standards and Loss of Advocacy-Parents and special
education teachers may be concerned that the lesson plans in a regular
education inclusive classroom will be watered down to accommodate the
special needs students. This would end up being a detriment not only
to the regular education student, but the special education student as
well. Special education teachers are specifically trained to
understand the strengths of individual disabled students. Therefore,
lesson quality can be higher in the special education classroom. With
the shift from special education classrooms to regular education
classrooms, students could not only experience a loss of quality in
the teaching, but a loss of advocacy from the teacher.
(http://www.ehow.co.uk/list_6549309_disadvantages-inclusive
education.html#ixzz1E0znmrjC )

Sincere Regards,
Shraddha.