Hello Sir,

Excel vlookup function has shortcut keys? intriguing,  sorry I"m
unaware of it. May be anyone here can help us out.

Perhaps my usage of  vlookup to extract info  will serve your purpose.
Let us assume, you need  a  particular column data to be matched and
retrieve  in another new sheet of your excel For instance, simple one,
branch name  with branch code.
You have a  file(named as "Ajit" with all data like branch name,
branch chief name, phone number, branch code, assets(loans) for a
particular month, powers of sanction, etc .
Here I  have stated 6  column with respected column title. so branch
name will take the place in A1, branch chief name in B1, phone number
in C1, branch code in D1, etc.
Now, another file(named as"shahruk") with many info except branch
code. Here we  need the branch code, let's assume.
Both files(ajit and shahruk) contains the branch name( exact names),
this is our matching criteria.

Hence we are going to retrieve branch code from Ajit to shahruk using
"branch name".

step 1
Take shahruk file(or sheet), then insert a  column after branch name
or any where in the sheet.(I  assume besides branch name)
Ps: branch name in shahruk file is in A1  column
step 2:
take the Ajit file aside
step 3:
in shahruk file we need branch code   in column b1. place the focus in
the empty cell, then type "+"(or "=") and type vlookup(  then with the
help of right  arrow keys select the A1 cell then put a  comma  again
"alt tab to switch between ajit sheet, then select entire data
starting from branch name of ajit file A1. Again continue with the
formula, by putting "comma", then 4 then comma, 0and then close the
brackets.
you're formula should read like this in shahruk,
+vlookup(a1,sheetAjit!sheet1!a1$:h345$,4,0)
explaination:

+vlookup(

What to find.

a1 represents what we want to find in shahruk file always it will
contain  the exact match found in both files like ajit and shahruk's
branch name)

select using right arrow(in the same file)

next after comma
>From where  to search

the file in which we want to find the exact match, so always start
from the  exact comman info found in both files(here branch name in
both ajit as well as shahruk)

select using "shift +end plus left arrow and  down arrow

excel will automatically take the selected area.

again comma

what information to retrieve

we need branch code which is found in the fourth column of ajit file
so used numeral 4

you can use what ever column number data here.

comma again

exact or approximate value

if we give 0  then vlookup pools the exact match else the approx

this approx may be useful in numeric values.

 then close the brackets )

Hope we are done with. Please assure that the excel sheet is always
maximised and if you got any error then try it in new sheet.

On 4/26/16, Manjunatha V <manjunath...@rediffmail.com> wrote:
> Friends,
>

> At office daily I need to turn around three to four excel sheets on a
> regular basis for tiny piece of information in one or the other files.
> Instead, I know I can have all the necessary columns in the single file
> with
> the help of V look up. I'd be glad if someone can help me step by step how
> to do v look up along with shortcut keys. I use windows 7 with JAWWS 16.
>

> With regards,
>
> Manjunatha V.

Cheers,
Radha
"Everything you want in your life is waiting for you an inch outside
your comfort zone, and an inch inside your effort."