CHOURYA -- UNUSUAL SUSPECTS

 Marathi films are known for their innovative subjects, and their aspiration to
raise the content bar. Inspite of this, we stay away from certain subjects,
genres, and formats. Thrillers are a rarity in Marathi, and it's assumed that
the audience doesn't respond well to the form. So whenever we get a suitable
subject for the genre, the resulting film dilutes the central thread in an
attempt to make it accessible to a regular moviegoer. Keeping a thriller in its
pure form is unusual and I haven't seen many examples in Marathi (Dombivali
Fast, Rege are some of the notable exceptions). That makes Chourya a curiosity.

 Those who have seen the trailer of Chourya may be expecting something slightly
different. The sacred temple and the village without thieves seen in the
promotional material, project a semblance of the Shani Shingnapur temple and we
expect the religious/social element to play a major role in the film. However,
that's not the case. Early on in the film, we see the temple being robbed by
masked men in police uniforms, but soon the action shifts elsewhere. This leads
to another unusual thing about Chourya.

 The major part of the film is a single sequence taking place almost in real
time, on the outskirts of the village. It features four characters, all of whom
may or may not be police officers, or thieves. The masks during the robbery are
off now, and we are unable to recognize the original participants in the crime.
The four characters play off each other keeping us guessing, as well as each
other, about their true identities. While the situation did remind me of the
Tarantino classic Reservoir Dogs, the film did not make a serious attempt to
reach the level.

 What I like about Chourya is the central idea, that it attempts to be
different, and does it without compromise. Unfortunately, one can't help
feeling it could have done a lot more.

 One of the major issues with Chourya is it's lack of emotional core. Even
classic thrillers need someone you can identify with, a character, which takes
you on a journey and makes you care for him/her. Without it, the film can be
clever, but mechanical. Chourya suffers with this problem, in writing, as well
as acting. The screenplay focuses on two things, the real identities of the
characters, and the money trail. The film springs one surprise after another,
but a guessing game without a person or a cause to sympathise with, is limited
in its achievement.

 The four central characters lack the necessary depth. They seem to exist just
for playing the whodunnit, and have no personality beyond it. The back-stories
are incomplete and rudimentary, but I won't blame them. You don't need a
back-story, to make a character believable. The actors, who play these
protagonists, make no attempt to rise above the script, to make the characters
their own.

Chourya explains most of the riddles by the end, but the explanation is not
easy and often chaotic. As the genre is new for our audience, a slightly
simpler approach with clarity could have helped. Having said that, I will also
say the identity of the kingpin was a disappointment. It was far too
predictable.

Chourya remains in a unique position of being a film venturing beyond the
familiar ground in Marathi filmmaking, and should get a credit for that. I just
wish it could have done more with the opportunity.

 P.S.: Chourya is also releasing in a format accessible to the hearing and
visually impaired. A commendable initiative by the producers with a possibility
to widen the audience, we hope it soon becomes a norm for films in all
languages, and helps to spread the film culture to newer avenues.

Cast: Milind Shinde, Digvijay Rohidas, Tirtha Murbadkar, Dinesh Lata Shetty,
Kishor Kadam, Ganesh Yadav, Pradip Velankar.
Direction: Samir Asha Patil.

Regards,
Vishnu
Information transmitted by this e-mail is proprietary to Mphasis, its
associated companies and/ or its customers and is intended
for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential or
recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded
to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination
of this information in any manner is strictly
prohibited. In such cases, please notify us immediately at
mailmas...@mphasis.com and delete this mail from your records.