vary interesting post. thanks
----- Original Message ----- From: "avinash shahi" <shahi88avin...@gmail.com> To: "accessindia" <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>; "jnuvision" <jnuvis...@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2016 3:36 PM
Subject: [AI] RIO Paralympics: Guides for blind athletes share the struggle

“When you’re running alone, it’s more selfish,” said Chris Clarke, the
guide for British sprinter Libby Clegg, who won the T11 women’s 100
meters on Friday. “As a guide, I’ve got to look out for Libby -- set
her (starting) blocks up and give her cues every now and then. It’s
interesting, I like it. It’s like being part of a Formula One team.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/guides-for-blind-athletes-share-the-struggle/2016/09/10/9cd52988-7727-11e6-9781-49e591781754_story.html
Clarke and Clegg were caught in controversy Friday, when Clegg was
disqualified after the T11 100-meter semifinal because it appeared
Clarke broke the rules by pulling her during the race. The ruling was
appealed and overturned.

“This is my third Paralympic games, I would never want to dishonorably
win a medal,” Clark said. “For me, I was a little upset that
allegation was made against me and I’m just glad that I have a
fantastic team fighting in my corner.”

U.S. triple and long jumper Lex Gillette and his guide, Wesley
Williams, have worked together for nine years and are roommates in
Chula Vista, Calif.

“He’s basically my brother,” said Gillette, who won a fourth
consecutive Paralympic silver in the long jump Thursday and celebrated
on the medal stand with Williams at his side. “If I need anything,
he’s there to the rescue.”

Williams was a top sprinter at Cal-State Northridge before hearing
about guide running from a friend. He attended a camp through Team USA
where he and Gillette hit it off.

In addition to Paralympic silver and the last two world championship
golds in the long jump, Williams has helped Gillette to the world
record in the event (22 feet, 1 inch). Gillette is the only totally
blind man to eclipse 22 feet.

When Gillette is preparing to jump, Williams stands in the middle of
the jumpboard, calling out instructions. He jumps off to the left or
right just before the jump, depending on where he thinks Gillette
should go.

“We train every day, putting each other in different positions,”
Williams said. “Just him knowing that I got his back and me knowing
he’s got mine and we groove from there.”

In cycling, the guide and athlete work in teams called tandems. The
guide, called the pilot, sits in front of a two-person bike and
steers. The guide has to be just as fit and skilled as the athlete,
called the stoker, as they both pedal.

“As a team we have to stay in sync in all areas, and it can be really
tough when you’re constantly seeing great times being put up right
before you go,” said British pilot Helen Scott, who, working with
stoker Sophie Thornhill, set a Paralympic record Friday in the 1000
meters in the B category.

U.S. sprinter Brown and Avery had only been together a few months when
Brown broke T11 world records in the 100 and 200 meters in April 2014,
marking the first time both records fell to the same person in a
24-hour span.

Bound together by a tether attached to their hands, Avery and Brown
run stride for stride down the track with Avery leading the way
vocally to keep Brown in the lane. When Brown and Avery began working
together, the tether was 10 inches. As they got more comfortable
running next to each other, they shortened it. At one point, it was 3
inches long. Now that they’re totally in sync, the tether is long
again.

Brown’s world record in the 100 (10.92 seconds) still stands. He is
the only totally blind man to run under 11 seconds. He and Avery call
themselves “Team BrAvery.”

--
Avinash Shahi