While searching for the reports where blind people have helped in the
conviction, I've come across this very fascinating read. Hope this
would help other researchers working on related issues also.
Written by Express News Service | Pune | Published:August 17, 2011 3:28 am
http://indianexpress.com/article/pune/their-voice-nails-them-rapists-get-10year-jail-term/
The identification of their voices and vehicle by a visually impaired
friend of a blind rape victim proved vital in the conviction of the
accused. Additional sessions judge S D Darane awarded 10 years’
imprisonment and a fine of Rs 5,000 each or six months’ additional
imprisonment to Maruti Suresh Pawale (30) and Nitin Vitthal Pawale
(32) for raping the 48-year-old woman,who was travelling from
Shaniwarwada to her village near Khadakwasla with her friend Pravin
Wankhede.

Wankhede and the woman had,in 2008,gone to collect charity given out
by an institution for the blind near Rajaram bridge. They wanted to
board a direct bus from Shaniwarwada to their village. “On reaching
the bus stop,we got to know that the bus had left. We waited for
another bus that took us to Khadakwasla. After getting down,a tea
stall owner helped us get into a jeep,” the victim said in her
complaint.

After travelling for about 30 minutes,it was just the woman,Pravin and
the two accused in the jeep. Nitin,who was driving the jeep,asked them
to get down at a place saying they had reached their village but they
knew that the unfamiliar road was not leading to their village. They
tried to tell this to the accused,who manhandled Pravin and took the
woman to a nearby ditch,where they raped her. Pravin was kept away
from the spot.

The accused later dropped them near their village. “Being blind,we
have a habit to touch and feel the place where we sit. Accordingly,we
had noticed that the seat of that vehicle was torn and big iron rods
were placed under the seat,” the victim said. The observation came
handy in identifying the vehicle

The woman had told Pravin about the incident on reaching home.
“Initially,he didn’t want to go to the police. But I was adamant
because I did not want any other blind person to go through the same
trauma,” the victim said.

They filed a complaint with Haveli police station,and the victim’s
vaginal swab was tested by which it was confirmed that she was raped
by two persons.

Additional public prosecutor Sunil More said Pravin had also helped in
identifying the voice of the two accused from 15 samples. As many as
20 witnesses were examined. “Statements of the complainant,the tea
stall owner who had helped them in getting the jeep,co-passengers who
identified the two accused and medical reports helped in the
conviction,” More said

--
Avinash Shahi