Friends,
You must have known by now that a visually impaired student was robbed in
Howrah railway station yesterday. The police at first showed no urgency in
taking up this case.
Following is a press statement issued by Paschimbanga Rajya Pratibandhi
Sammilani, the west Bengal affiliate of National Platform for rights of the
disabled (NPRD).
*Press statement on the incident of a blind student being robbed in Howrah
Station*
Paschimbanga Rajya Pratibandhi Sammilani expresses deep dismay over the
attitude displayed by the personnel's of the Howrah GRP when a visually
impaired student of Rabindrabharati University, named Jibankrishna Rakshit,
complained that he had been assaulted and robbed by some miscreants at
Howrah railway station. At first, the GRP turned the student and his
friends away without receiving the complaints. However, as a result of
their protest, the GRP received the complaints and initiated some action.
This incident once again lays bare the extreme sense of apathy prevalent
among different law enforcement agencies in dealing with the complaints
made by the disabled persons. We call upon all concerned to deal with this
case with utmost sincerity so that the perpetrators can be nabbed. We also
call upon the top authorities of the railways to sensitise all the
personnel's working in this institution about the needs and problems of
disabled persons.
We warmly congratulate the visually impaired students of Rabindrabharati
University for showing great resolve and determination to ensure justice.
We hope this resolve would be reflected in all the upcoming struggles.
KANTI
GANGULY
Date: 01.04.2018
General Secretary
Paschimbanga Rajya Pratibandhi Sammilani &
President – National Platform for the Rights of the disabled (NPRD)