Well I have stayed in sreedareeyam hospital for treatment for 3 weeks without any sighteds' assistance. Infact, we were 4 totally blind persons. No doctor/hospital authority insisted upon us to have sighteds' assistance. They were very cooperative towards us. Initially or on the first day, they brought medicines and personnel to our room for treatment assuming that we blind wouldn't be navigate independently to the designated treatment rooms.
From the next day, we insisted that they do not all these exercises and we
ourselves went to the treatment rooms to get the treatment. from then on, things were normal. We used to go to the canteen on our own daily although room service was available at certain charges. During the free time, we roamed the entire hospital and surroundings as well. The nurses were also very accommodative. I do know Dr. Sri Kanth for a long time. He was one of the doctors treating us, but fortunately, there weren't any problems. From your mail, it seems either your mobility is not that good (no offense to you personally, just a general observation/probability) or the doctors have terribly misjudged. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Poonam" <poonam.vai...@gmail.com> To: "AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issues concerning the disabled." <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: 09 May, 2018 6:32 PM
Subject: [AI] Denied access to hospitals without assistant

Hi friends,
Last month, I was admitted into Sreedhareeyam Ayurvedic Hospital in Kochi. Before going, I had met the main doctor, Dr. Srikanth in the Sreedhareeyam clinic Bangalore and discussed plans about going to the hospital without an assistant. He suggested that I have an assistant for the first 3 days since I was new and then I could manage alone. So this is what I did. However, on the second last day before my assistant was due to leave, the doctors started saying it would not be possible for me to stay alone. The reason they gave me was that I did not have enough vision to manage. I had already arranged laundry, cafeteria services, etc and there was absolutely nothing I could not do alone. However, they still said no and I had to return. Another Naturopathy hospital, Jindal also has continuously denied me treatment and finally agreed if I take the most expensive accomodation with an assistant. I am writing this to ask any of you who know about the legal angle of denying a person with disability into a hospital/clinic without an assistant. I really do not need an assistant nor do I feel comfortable having one. Does the 2016 PWD Act have anything on this? The two hospitals are private, not government funded. I plan to write to the NHAB (National Health Accreditation Board), the hospital authorities and some journalist friends. Any more suggestions are welcome.

Poonam