This is very encouraging!

-----Original Message-----
From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of
Kanchan Pamnani
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 11:21 AM
To: AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issuesconcerning the
disabled.
Subject: [AI] article in TOI dt 29 May 2018

Court allows visually disabled woman to fulfil dream of becoming judge

Ashutosh Shukla
<https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/toireporter/author-Ashutosh-Shukla-479251018.cms>
| TNN | Updated: May 29, 2018, 09:02 IST

*32*

[image: Rashmi Thakur]*Rashmi Thakur*

BHOPAL/JABALPUR: TheMadhya Pradesh
<https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/madhya-pradesh> high court will hold
an exam for civil judge recruitment in July for just one candidate — an
extraordinary step for an extraordinary person.

Jabalpur <https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Jabalpur> lawyer Rashmi
Thakur, who is 75% blind since birth, scored 85% in her prelims despite being
barred from using a writer (scrubber, in legal terms). She fell short of the
cut-off by 5% and moved high court, which felt that her score in such trying
circumstances was worth more than the cut-off. Since the main exam was over, a
division bench of Chief Justice Hemant Gupta and Justice V K Shukla ordered
another exam, just for her.

Asked how she managed to give her online prelims, she told TOI: “I can write
only if I keep the paper an inch away from my eyes. That is the limit of my
vision. That’s how I gave my papers in school and colleges. That’s how I gave
my online exam.”

After getting her law degree in 2013, she immediately started practicing in
court. “But I always wanted to be a judge. In 2016, when I read about
Brahmanand Sharma of Rajasthan, a visually-impaired person like me making it to
judicial services in his state, I saw a ray of hope,” said Rashmi.

Her first hurdle was a rule that only those suffering from orthopaedic
disability would get benefit of reservation. She wasn’t allowed a scrubber,
either. Undaunted, she moved HC to include visually-impaired on the list of
disabled persons but with no success. In 2017, when 94 vacancies of civil
judges were advertised by the high court, she applied as a general candidate.
And, this bold decision eventually paid off.

She fell short of the qualifying score by 5% but filed a writ petition in HC,
with the help of senior advocate Surendra Verma. A division bench of Chief
Justice Hemant Gupta and Justice V K Shukla was impressed by her fortitude and
accepted her argument. The bench not only allowed her to appear in the main
exam but also ordered inclusion of visually-impaired persons on the list of
disabled and provide them reservation.

Justice Gupta was very appreciative of my efforts. Taking the online exam
without a scrubber was difficult. I have given online exams in the past as well
but every time I was allowed to sit with a scrubber,” said Rashmi.

“It is not a personal victory for me. All my visually-impaired brethren have
won. They will now be provided with a scrubber and also get the benefit of
reservation,” said Rashmi.