From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf
Of Prashant Ranjan Verma
Sent: 14 June 2018 08:23 PM
To: 'AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issues concerning
the disabled.'
Subject: [AI] How TV and satellite channels became accessible in my home

Dear all,

I have been able to get a talking TV and more importantly get screen reader
access to the list of channels and program guide of Tata Sky, one of the DTH
service providers. This is how it became possible.

1. Purchased Sony Bravia Android TV. My TV model  number is Sony
KD-49X7500E. I think other models in the Sony Bravia Android series should
also work.

2. Activated Talkback on the TV. It required sighted assistance to go into
the settings and accessibility option. After Talkback started, I have been
able to use the TV menus and its Android OS independently with the remote
control.

3. YouTube, Netflix and many other apps are pre-installed on the TV. I can
search and play programs with the help of Talkback. This TV also has voice
search function and it is very accurate. Amazon Prime video  app is not
working with Talkback.

4. This TV has a feature which allows it to detect connected Tata Sky set
top box. The Tata Sky can be operated with the TV remote, once setup there
is no need to use the Tata Sky remote, you can do everything with the TV
remote.

5. The TV has a pre-installed app called Program Guide. This app can be
opened to see the Guide which lists the channels with current programs or
one can also view list of programs by different genres. Talkback works
properly here. One can browse through the list of channels and programs and
select them to view.

Additionally now I have been able to connect my TV with Amazon Alexa. The
Sony Bravia and Alexa support each other. Sony has a app on the TV and Alexa
has the skill which need to be configured.

Now I can just ask Alexa to Switch On the TV, Volume up/mute, ask Alexa to
put a channel number on the TV. Even switching channel name is supported.
For example Alexa change channel to Times Now on TV. However, saying the
name always does not work. This is probably also because there are so many
similar channel names such as Colors, Colors HD, Colors HD plus etc. ,

I wish we get talking set top boxes soon. but for the time being I have a
working solution in my home.

thanks,

Prashant Ranjan Verma

Creating the best way to read and publish

www.daisy.org <http://www.daisy.org>

sent through this mailing list..