From: Marita Cardoz <cardozmar...@gmail.com><mailto:cardozmar...@gmail.com>

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 13:02:00 +0530

Subject: Registered Posting of Articles/Literature for the Blind and

Surcharge on the same.

To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in<mailto:accessindia@accessindia.org.in>

Hi AccessIndians

Under Post & Telegraphs (P&T) Guide Rule 136/137, ‘Literature for the

Blind’ can be Registered Post Free subject to meeting the conditions

mentioned in these Rules e.g. weight limit, surface-mail only, etc.

(earlier the rules were P&T Guide 129/130).

https://www.indiapost.gov.in/VAS/DOP_RTI/PO_Guide_Part-1.pdf

The NAB Talking Book Library in its on-line internet document

www.nabindia.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/TBC_Terms_Conditions.docx<http://www.nabindia.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/TBC_Terms_Conditions.docx>

mentions : “To return the CD/CDs Postage-Free from your local Post

Office, by Registered Post, you need to write “ARTICLES FOR THE BLIND:

REGD. POST FREE UNDER RULE 136/137 P. & T. GUIDE” on the CD

Mailer/Mailers.”

For over 30 years, I (and another VI friend) have been regularly using

this facility for returning the CDs from NAB’s Talking Book Centre as

also returning Braille Books we get from Libraries such as the RNIB

National Library Service, United Kingdom.  (UK post is via SEA-MAIL).

This March 2018, when attempting to post the Braille Books as usual we

were shocked to learn that we now have to pay a SURCHARGE.  We have

been told that the postal system has just installed a new SOFTWARE

(termed ‘CSI’  ?).  This software does not allow the Registration of

the Blind Literature unless a Surcharge is paid.

The postal staff are aware of the P&T Guide Rules 136/137.  They are

also aware that we did not have to pay for Braille Literature

registered postage till date.   But they are unable to process the

same since the new software does not allow it without the surcharge.

(In my case the surcharge was Rs600).

I have been regularly following up with my local post-office but they

always say the situation has not changed.

I will be lodging a written/on-line complaint to the postal

authorities but it would help to know if anyone else is facing this

issue and has anyone got a solution?

Looking forward to your reply and thanking you in advance for the same.

M. Cardoz (100% VI)

Mumbai

Caution: The Reserve Bank of India never sends mails, SMSs or makes calls
asking for personal information such as your bank account details, passwords,
etc. It never keeps or offers funds to anyone. Please do not respond in any
manner to such offers, however official or attractive they may look.

received this email by error, please notify us by return e-mail or telephone
viruses. The Reserve Bank of India accepts no liability for any damage caused
by any virus transmitted by this email.