Hi all,

Posting this on behalf of Vision-Aid. Feel free to share on other
groups that you may be a part of.

--------

An Exciting Program from Vision-Aid

Computer Programming Classes for the Visually Challenged

Applications for Fall Semester 2018 Open.

Limited Enrollment.  Apply soon!

Overview

Are you a visually impaired or blind person who wants to learn
computer programming? Vision-Aid is continuing with an exciting
program to teach Python programming.  After successfully teaching
computer programming for the visually impaired in 2016, 2017 and
spring semester of 2018, we are thrilled to offer an even more
comprehensive program in the Fall semester of 2018. There have been
some recent changes in the program and admissions policy. Please
review this message carefully.

Schedule

The Fall session class begins on September 4th, 2018 and ends on
December 31st, 2018.  The course will run for around  around 14 weeks.

Opportunity to participate in Hackathon

Students who successfully complete the course will be invited to
attend a hackathon for the visually impaired organized by iStem,
Vision-Aid and other leading organizations in India. All travel and
lodging expenses for the conference will be borne by Vision-Aid and
sponsors, and students will have a unique opportunity to meet with the
top IT companies in Bangalore, the technology hub of India to explore
employment opportunities and to gain valuable experience in this
unique event. Completing students will also be eligible for
scholarships, internships and more.

Financial Aid for MIT/Stanford Online Courses

For students who successfully complete this program, Vision-Aid, in
collaboration with iStem, will further offer scholarships and
mentorship, to pursue advanced programming courses from MIT
(Massachusetts Institute of Technology) and Stanford Universities in
the US and other leading institutions via the edX.org and Coursera
platforms.  (Note: Many of our students have successfully obtained
such certificates via this program).  Students will also be eligible
to apply for internships and placement opportunities.

About the Course

During this program, the students will be introduced to computer
science and programming concepts using Python, one of the most popular
languages for getting started with computer programming.  Students in
this Vision-Aid program will learn from the experts in the field using
the best online learning resources. The classes will be offered over
SKYPE/ZOOM. Each student will be paired with a teacher who will work
with the student to guide them through the course material. The course
will have a midterm and final exam. Students who complete the course
will be awarded with a Vision-Aid certificate in Programming.

Cost

Vision-Aid is pleased to offer this course free of cost to the
students. However, students are required to have their own
laptops/computer and a good internet connection. Please note this
semester we have waived the advance refundable deposit requirement
which was required in the past.

Admission Criteria

No prior computer programming experience is necessary, but some
pre-requisites do apply. The application form will outline these
pre-requisites. After receipt of your application, Vision-Aid will
conduct an assessment and enroll qualified students. Each admitted
student will go through a screening process via a personal
conversation /interview. After admitting the students, we will do a
complete assessment and then students will be placed in beginner or
advanced classes. Starting in this semester, students will be required
to complete a placement test and interview as part of the admissions
process.

Time Commitment and Coursework Completion Requirements

This course is an intense programming course. It will require a
minimum of 10-15 hours of dedicated study and homework each week.
Students who do not put in the required time and effort may find it
very difficult to complete the course and master the concepts.
Therefore, regular attendance and time commitment are very important.
A student should apply to the course only if they are sure they can
invest the needed time for the entire duration of the course. Once
admitted a student MUST commit to attending all classes regularly
without exception. Any student who misses more than 2 classes without
prior written permission from the program coordinator may be
automatically dropped from the course and asked to reapply to the next
round of classes, and someone on the waitlist will be allocated their
space.

There is no minimum passing grade required, however, students are
required to submit all homework assignments, mid-term and final exams
on time. Only a teacher can recommend an extension if needed.

Why you should join?

We believe in training the students, so they can be lifelong learners,
and reach their highest potential. We encourage and guide our students
to participate in Hackathons such as the iStem hackathon at IIIT
Bangalore. Vision-Aid students have earned MOOC certificates from MIT
and Stanford and some have also secured excellent advanced learning
and employment opportunities.  Please view the following Videos of
some of our Vision- Aid star students – Aditi and Bhargav.

https://youtu.be/KNhyKfJ1Xck

How to apply

Please fill out the form below. Please note that the demand for the
course in prior semesters has been strong and we have quickly filled
up the course and reached wait list status. Admission of qualified
students is on first come first serve basis. You are encouraged to
apply early if you are really interested! Click the link below.

https://tinyurl.com/zsj35th

Application Deadline

The applications are due by Aug 20th, 2018.  The admission results
will be announced by September 1st, 2018 and classes will start by
September 4th, 2018 and will run through December 21, 2018.

Questions?

If you have any additional questions on the program, please send us an
email to i...@visionaid.org.