Kanchan,

Do you read Braille?

George

-----Original Message-----
From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of
Kanchan Pamnani
Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 1:33 PM
To: Rati Misra; Rama Chari; AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility
and issuesconcerning the disabled.
Subject: [AI] Article in ECO 21 July 2018

Election Commission takes a giant step forward - The Economic Times
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/election-commission-takes-a-giant-step-forward/printarticle/65075518.cms
UPDATED: JUL 21, 2018, 10.40 AM IST Post a Comment Sadasivan serves as the eyes
and ears of the ECI – she was among those who surveyed polling stations and
told the commission what the trek to cast one’s vote entailed for a disabled
person. Big Change: The end of Five-Year Plans: All you need to know Election
Commission takes a giant step forward The next Lok Sabha polls will be a more
inclusive one, with the Election Commission of India aggressively wooing a
constituency that hardly any political party has addressed – persons with
disabilities – across each state, district and polling booth. The Election
Commission of India is on a mission to ensure wider participation by people
with disabilities after having found that many of them couldn’t – or didn’t –
exercise their fundamental right to vote. When the ECI asked a civil society
organisation to conduct an ‘access audit’ of polling stations in RK Nagar in
Tamil Nadu to assess if they were disabled friendly, it had no idea what was
coming. The findings showed that most wheelchair ramps were ill-placed, too
steep or punctuated with bumps and uneven surfaces that made movement tortuous.
Toilets at polling stations could hardly be reached – even with ramps. The
survey threw up other glaring deficiencies. Short-statured people pointed out
that voting machines at most polling stations were placed on tables that were
too high for them to reach. Those with locomotor disabilities were unable to
press the buttons on the machine. Often, the polling staff were unaware,
unconcerned or insensitive to these problems, which could be fixed by simply
changing the position and incline of the voting machine and stretching out its
5-metre long cable. The cable is typically taped up at polling stations, which
clearly are not geared to address the needs of the differently abled. While
there are Braille ballot reference sheets at polling stations on political
parties, candidates and party symbols, they are not available in regional
languages and this leaves the visually disabled very disoriented at voting
time. ANUBHUTI VISHNOI 03:59 PM | 07 AUG MARKET STATS CLOSED Search for New s,
Stock Quotes & NAV's 8/7/2018 Election Commission takes a giant step forward -
The Economic Times
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/election-commission-takes-a-giant-step-forward/printarticle/65075518.cms
2/5 Still other persons with disabilities did not even want to be enrolled as
voters because they thought the process of polling would be long and difficult
to navigate. Add to that the general sense of nervousness and pressure that
they feel when the polling staff hurries them up and it is an experience that
many of them would rather avoid. Then there are persons with disabilities who
haven’t even been touched by the electoral process, especially those with
mental disabilities but not of unsound mind. These are over and above the more
mundane difficulties in the voter registration process and inaccessible
registration material. FINDING ACCESS With these disconcerting factors in mind,
the ECI is developing a full-fledged ‘Strategic Framework on Accessible
Elections’ going into the next Lok Sabha polls. Suresh Menons neardeath
experience! HDFC Life Lake Prints Embroidered Fashion Silk Saree(Pink)- Rs. 914
FLIPKART Recommended By Colombia There are 26.8 million persons with
disabilities in the country – or 2.21% of the population – as per Census 2011,
according to the website of the Department of Empowerment of Persons with
Disabilities. These include people with seeing, hearing, speech and movement
disabilities, mental retardation, mental illness and multiple disabilities.
Over 800 million people were eligible to vote in the 2014 general election. The
ECI’s target, even at a basic level, is daunting. For starters, there is no
national-level database of voters with disabilities. Even if the ECI wants to
reach out to voters with disabilities and offer customised assistance, it just
doesn’t know where they may be. In several states that are headed for assembly
polls this year, the exercise of mapping persons with disabilities has started
and the authorities are discovering that many of them are not even enrolled as
voters. In Rajasthan, where elections are due later this year, only 50% of the
1 million persons with disabilities are enrolled as voters. Many of them are
not even aware of how to get registered as voters. These and other issues were
flagged to the ECI by the chief electoral officers of various states. At a
national consultation hosted by the ECI earlier this month, the immediate
challenges for the next Lok Sabha election were brought home. 8/7/2018 Election
Commission takes a giant step forward - The Economic Times
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/election-commission-takes-a-giant-step-forward/printarticle/65075518.cms
3/5 The electoral officers pointed out how public buildings were far from
equipped to allow movement of disabled people. While most polling stations are
located in school buildings, these premises are woefully short of barrier-free
infrastructure. The gap is even more acute in urbanareas.
Still others pointed out that one of the biggest stumbling blocks was to ensure
transportation so that voters with disabilities could vote and return home – if
this was addressed, it would make a big difference. In Karnataka, which went to
the polls earlier this year, 56% of the disabled people did not know about the
usage of voting machines, according to Sanjeev Kumar, the state’s chief
electoral officer. While many people argue that there isn’t enough legal
backing for people with disabilities in the electoral process, Smitha
Sadasivan, a disability activist and consultant to the ECI on making elections
accessible, said the answer lies outside of the rulebooks. Special efforts and
motivation are the key, said Sadasivan, citing the example of a former chief
electoral officer in Tamil Nadu who demonstrated how it could be done during
the 2016 state assembly elections.
he officer noticed how many people with mental disabilities could not vote even
though they were eligible because they could not be reached by the ECI
machinery. The reason: they were admitted in mental health institutions and
kept out of the purview of the electoral exercise. According to Sadasivan, many
of these people were actually of very sound mind and eligible to vote.
The electoral officer reached out to the mental health institutions and figured
how many of them had been declared of unsound mind by court as per the
rulebook. Save these few, he insisted that the rest must cast their vote and
that’s what happened. It was a first in Tamil Nadu and probably in the country,
she said. “So, making elections accessible is not just about laws and the rule
book but about reaching out, taking initiative. The EC is doing a lot of that
now and that is a good sign,” Sadasivan said. THE SILVER LINING While there is
a long road ahead to ensure complete and barrier-free access to all in the
electoral process, encouraging beginnings are being made, just as in Tamil
Nadu. Uttarakhand, with its hilly terrain, tried the ‘Divyang Doli’ in the 2017
elections to help voters who could not walk to the polling station. Himachal
Pradesh went about methodically preparing a database of persons with
disabilities at the block level to enrol them, educate them on the significance
of voting and then finally helping them to cast their votes. 8/7/2018 Election
Commission takes a giant step forward - The Economic Times
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/election-commission-takes-a-giant-step-forward/printarticle/65075518.cms
4/5 Live Market News Industry Newsletters About Us Create Your Own Ad Many
states are giving them priority in voting queues. Madhya Pradesh tried making
its bus stops disabled-friendly and sent dummy ballot papers for the visually
disabled to familiarise them with the process. Dadra Nagar Haveli attempted
wheelchair pick and drop from the residence to polling station.
Bihar tried to keep all polling stations on the ground floor. The ECI has said
it will establish auxiliary polling stations for the disabled, appoint
disability coordinators at the level of assembly constituencies, districts and
states, develop a mobile app to help the disabled to take part and ensure that
photo slips are in accessible formats. The commission will set up a whole new
unit – an Accessible Division – in the ECI-run International Institute of
Democracy and Electoral Management in New Delhi. The ECI will hold follow-up
consultations in about three months from now to assess the progress made in
each state on making elections more accessible. The ECI’s initiative to engage
directly with persons affected by disabilities and civil society organisations
makes it one that has the potential to go far in making positive changes in
society, said Sadasivan, who herself is wheelchair bound. “That they have
someone like me as their accessible elections consultant, that they are getting
more polling officers with disabilities to man polling booths and engaging with
local stakeholders – that is a movement in itself. This may hopefully one day
also pave way for persons with disabilities to also contest elections, for
political parties to back their political representation, to ensure no one is
left unrepresented in a democracy,” she said. Sadasivan serves as the eyes and
ears of the ECI – she was among those who surveyed polling stations and told
the commission what the trek to cast one’s vote entailed for a disabled person.
During the July National Consultation on Accessible Elections, the ECI
authorities promised that things would be set right – with more empathy and
less law. The next general election will be a test on so many more counts than
political. Stay on top of business news with The Economic Times App. Download
it Now! 8/7/2018 Election Commission takes a giant step forward - The Economic
Times
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/election-commission-takes-a-giant-step-forward/printarticle/65075518.cms
5/5 Powered by Portfolio Mobile Live TV Biz Listings Commodities Speed Blogs
RSS Advertise with Us Terms of Use & Grievance Redressal Privacy policy FOLLOW
US Dow nload it from APP STORE Dow nload it from GOOGLEPLAY Dow nload it from
Windows Store Article 35-A Article 35A Hearing Vijay Mallya Extradition
Shatrughan Sinha Nirav Modi Rahul Gandhi BJP Narendra Modi Karnataka Assembly
Election 2018 Bharatiya Janata Party Chandrababu Naidu Siddaramaiah Other Times
Group news sites इकनॉिमक टाइàस| ઈકોનોિમક ટાઈƠ સ | Pune Mirror | Bangalore
Mirror | Ahmedabad Mirror | ItsMyAscent | Education Times | Brand Capital |
Mumbai Mirror | Times Now | Indiatimes | नवभारत टाइàस | महाराƶ टाइàस | Ļಜಯ ಕ£ಾ
ಟಕ | Go Green | AdAge India | Eisamay
| IGN India | NavGujarat Samay | Times of India | Samayam Tamil |
| Samayam
Telugu | Miss Kyra | Bombay Times | Filmipop | BrainBaazi | BrainBaazi APP
Living and Entertainment Timescity| iDiva | Entertainment | Zoom | Healthmeup |
Luxpresso | Gadget Reviews | Titanium & Platinum Credit Card | Online Songs |
MensXP | Hotels | Travel Destinations | Cricbuzz | Recipes | Gaana | Happytrips
| Getsmartapp Interest Network itimes Hot on the Web Share Market | GST |
Income Tax Slabs | Aadhaar Card | IFSC Code | Mutual Funds | Top ELSS Funds to
Invest | How to save Income Tax | Sensex Today | Nifty Bank | How to earn money
| Income Tax Calculator Services Book print
ads| Online shopping | Matrimonial | Astrology | Jobs | Tech Community |
Property | Buy car | Bikes in India | Free Classifieds | Send money to India |
Used Cars | Restaurants in Delhi | Remit to India | Buy Mobiles | Listen Songs
| News | TimesMobile | Real Estate Developers | Restaurant Deals in Delhi | Car
Insurance | Gadgets Now | Free Business Listings | CouponDunia | Remit2India |
Techradar | AliveAR | Getsmartapp App | ETMoney Finance App | Feedback | Auto
In Case You Missed It Copyright © 2018 Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. All rights
reserved. For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service