From: Kanchan Pamnani [mailto:kanchanpamn...@gmail.com]
Sent: 09 October 2018 14:28
To: AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issuesconcerning the
disabled.
Subject: Why these teachers need to climb trees in school every day

Why these teachers need to climb trees in school every day

*         The Times of India (New Delhi edition)

*         8 Oct 2018

*

Daltonganj: Every morning, the six teachers at Upgraded Plus Two School in
Sohri Khas village, 41km from here in Jharkhand’s Palamu district gather at the
courtyard. In their hands is a tablet connected to a biometric reader on which
they have to record their thumbprints for attendance. The problem is the
internet connection is frequently absent. This forces two or three of the
teachers to climb a palash tree in the school campus while the students watch.
On a good day, they get a weak connection high on the tree’s branches.

“There is no internet connectivity on our campus at all. We can access a very
weak 2G network if we climb up the tree and wait, but even that is quite
unreliable,” says Arpan Kumar Gupta, a teacher. Not all of the teachers can
climb the tree, certainly not every day. The rest have to fall back on
conventional methods.

“When the tablet does not connect to the internet, we mark our attendance on
the register. There has to be some record,” Gupta adds.

They are not alone in this predicament. Across northwestern Jharkhand, teachers
at several schools have been unable to record their attendance online, as part
of a new state government initiative, because the infrastructure in the rural
parts of the state is just not up to the task of handling the demands of
digital connectivity.

Under the Gyanodaya scheme launched by CM Raghubar Das in 2017, the state
government began distributing tablets to schools. The devices were pre-in-
stalled with the e-Vidya Vahini app, which records biometric attendance of
teachers and also monitors the admission and drop-out rates and other
parameters.

Periodically, progress reports on teachers and students, academic performances
and inspections (which are filled by the respective cluster or block resource
person) are also to be filed through the app. The school at Sohri Khas, which
has 800 students, got the tablet on September 25. The palash tree has been
their saviour ever since.

https://www.avg.com