From: J. L. Kaul [mailto:aicbde...@yahoo.com]
Sent: 21 August 2019 10:40
To: tncs...@gmail.com; wfbchen...@gmail.com; kwab...@gmail.com;
deepak.healingto...@gmail.com; nandin...@actionaid.org; arpitha...@gmail.com;
adco....@gmail.com; bnk...@yahoo.co.in; viwatn...@gmail.com;
srinivas.carn...@gmail.com; shantisemwa...@gmail.com; blinab...@sancharnet.in;
mjyoth...@yahoo.com; prasannapin...@gmail.com; muthump2...@gmail.com;
navchetanandhjanman...@yahoo.co.in; drishtiblindsch...@gmail.com;
hopan...@gmail.com; executivesecret...@blindrelief.org
Subject: Important developments in our advocacy initiatives.

Dear all,

This is to share with you that 20th August, 2019 turned out be an important day
in advocacy work of AICB. On this day, three important matters filed by us were
listed in various high courts for hearing.

One of these was a very difficult case relating to the payment of inadequate
transport allowance to visually-impaired bank employees. Though on the earlier
dates of hearing, the Delhi High Court was in agreement with the issue, it
found it difficult to bring it under the corners of the legal provisions.
However, our lawyer Mr. Deepesh Aneja worked very hard on the matter trying to
find all possible ways to ensure that our petition succeeds. As a result, when
the case came up for hearing on 20th August, 2019, after a prolonged argument,
he was able to convince the Court about the validity of the issue.
Consequently, a High Court bench, headed by the Hon'ble Chief Justice, was
pleased to issue directions to the Union of India, stating that the specific
officer of the Ministry of Finance, responsible for taking a decision on the
representation for increase in transport allowance for PwD bank employees must
be personally present in the Court with instructions on Tuesday, 27th August,
2019. Failing to do so would invite action, the Court observed. When we filed
this matter in the High Court, we were somewhat uncertain but this direction by
the Hon'ble High Court has brought a strong ray of hope for the
visually-impaired bank employees with respect to the payment of transport
allowance.

Another ongoing matter of AICB, which was listed for further hearing on 20th
August 2019 in the Delhi High Court, pertained to the accessibility of currency
notes and coins. As you may be aware, this matter has been going on for some
time. Today we were able to achieve a major breakthrough with the High Court
agreeing with our contention that mobile app or a device is not the appropriate
method of making currency notes accessible and that it is the actual notes
which should be made accessible by certain distinctive marks. Our lawyer Mr.
Saurabh Banerjee who has been arguing this matter for us tells us that the
Hon'ble judge issued a 3 page order asking the Union of India and RBI to file a
comprehensive affidavit detailing steps they wish to take in this matter. As
you will agree that accessibility of notes and coins is a serious challenge for
the visually-impaired these days. But our advocacy interventions hope to bring
positive results soon.

Our third matter was in the Madras High Court where we had challenged the
non-implementation of reservation for PwD in aided Government colleges, which
are significant in number. Our Petition has been admitted and through it, we
hope to create several hundreds of jobs for the visually impaired in Tamil
Nadu. A senior of Tamil Nadu, Mr. Prabhakaran, is arguing our case there.

With best wishes,

Sincerely yours,

Prof. Anil K. Aneja.

Prof. Anil K. Aneja