Amazon’s Echo can now help describe grocery items to the visually impaired
Amazon.com’s virtual assistant just got more intelligent after the
company revealed Monday that the visually impaired can now ask it what
they are holding.
The new feature, called “Show and Tell,” enables customers who are
blind or people with low vision to hold an item in front of first- and
second-generation Echo Show devices and ask, “Alexa, what am I
holding?” or “Alexa, what’s in my hand?” The object will then be
identified using Amazon’s machine learning technology.
That could be especially helpful for grocery items such as tins and
boxes that might be hard to identify properly. As Amazon demonstrated
in a video, a blind person asked Alexa what she’s holding and Alexa
replied, “It looks like tea.”
“The whole idea for Show and Tell came about from feedback from blind
and low vision customers,” said Sarah Caplener, who leads Amazon’s
Alexa for Everyone team. “We heard that product identification can be
a challenge and something customers wanted Alexa’s help with. Whether
a customer is sorting through a bag of groceries, or trying to
determine what item was left out on the counter, we want to make those
moments simpler by helping identify these items and giving customers
the information they need in that moment.”
Partnering with California-based Vista Center for the Blind and
Visually Impaired, Amazon worked with visually impaired people to
understand the problems they have at home and how Alexa could help.
One volunteer who is completely blind called the technology
“revolutionary,” saying with such devices acting as his eyes, he is
much more independent. He said he likes to cook, but without the help
of a personal assistant, it’s impossible to know what spice he is
holding. In another example, Alexa identifies for him a box of
macaroni and cheese.
“It’s essential to work with our customers, not just for them, to
create something that’s truly helpful,” said Caplener.
Article Link:
https://siliconangle.com/2019/09/23/amazons-echo-can-now-help-describe-grocery-items-visually-impaired/

--
With warm regards