It was Mahatma Gandhi who, after my mother, most strongly influenced
my thinking and actions on what I should do with the privilege of my
wealth. My mother was one of the founder members of a charitable
orthopaedic hospital for disabled children — one of the first in the
country after Independence — which she ran for 50 years as the
executive chairperson. I observed, through my childhood, what it took
to do that, and the difference it made in the lives of people.
https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/mahatma-gandhi-wealth-6063201/
Advertising
The Mahatma’s idea that the wealthy must be trustees of their wealth
for the larger good of the people has resonated with me from much
before I became a wealthy man. To quote him, “supposing I have come by
a fair amount of wealth — either by way of legacy, or by means of
trade and industry — I must know that all that wealth does not belong
to me; what belongs to me is the right to an honourable livelihood, no
better than that enjoyed by millions of others. The rest of my wealth
belongs to the community and must be used for the welfare of the
community.”

There are multiple quintessentially Gandhian views and ideas embedded
in the idea of trusteeship. The first is a clear-eyed understanding of
the reality that the enormous inequities of wealth, while
unacceptable, are not illegitimate. This is a positive approach. It
does not put those with wealth in the dock just for the possession of
wealth, unlike a few other economic ideologies. Second, it is clear
and definitive that wealth and resources, irrespective of who “owns”
these, must help with the betterment of society and all its people.
Third, it puts the onus of making this happen on those who have
wealth. This is a direct manifestation of his philosophy of
non-violence — the wealthy must do it of their own accord, unforced by
external pressure. Fourth, it puts faith in human nature, that
eventually people will do the right thing, if you trust them.

Unsurprisingly, many people will be sceptical of the effectiveness of
this approach to build an egalitarian society. And that would be for
good reason. But I believe that over the long term, in the reality of
the world we live in, this approach will be more sustainably
effective.

Advertising
In addition to the idea of trusteeship, I think business and industry
leaders can learn a lot more from the life of the Mahatma. Let us take
just one aspect, which I will call “moral leadership”. How is it that
this man could sway and influence hundreds of millions of people to
action, while holding no formal power over them? Part of the answer
lies in the Mahatma’s moral leadership which millions followed, not
requiring any power to sway them. This moral leadership was a result
of three interlinked aspects of his behaviour.

First, was his relentless and uncompromising pursuit of truth. His own
discomfort never deterred him, neither did fear. Discovering new
aspects of truth that challenged his previous beliefs, he was ever
ready to change his mind and had the courage to share this journey of
learning publicly. It takes a truly great man to openly accept that he
was wrong and to stand corrected.

Second, was the importance he gave to means over ends. We have
witnessed this again and again through his life, that even the most
cherished end of “purna swaraj” could not justify means that were at
odds with the Mahatama’s unshakeable belief in non-violence. The
suspension of the non-cooperation movement after the incident at
Chaura Chauri is perhaps the most well known of these, and is
controversial too. However, it did cement the public understanding of
the importance of his approach, the importance of ethics, of weighing
means over ends, and of doing the right thing the right way, always.

Third, was, quite simply, his innate empathy and humaneness. His
devotion to the weak and poor is too well known to bear any
repetition. His efforts to unite India, cutting across every category
of people possible, was one his three great quests. But even more
telling was his ability and commitment to see and draw the best from
even his adversaries. At the core of all this was his empathy towards
all — not only to all fellow human beings, but also to animals and
nature, to all that emanated from the universal life force.
With this trinity of the pursuit of truth, the importance of means
over ends, and empathy for all living matter embodied in his person,
and lived every day in the public eye, he did not need any other power
over people, for it was this that gave him moral leadership. The
people saw in him a beacon, an ideal, and a leader whom they were
inspired to follow. Those of us who are privileged to be in leadership
roles will realise that the power of position diminishes with time,
whereas moral leadership endures

There are some words of timeless truth whose power only increases
every time they are repeated because they are an invocation of moral
leadership. Let me end this brief personal tribute to the Mahatma with
his own oft-repeated words: “I will give you a talisman. Whenever you
are in doubt or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the
following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man
(woman) whom you may have seen, and ask yourself if the step you
contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will he or she
gain anything by it? Will it restore him (her) to control over his
(her) own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to swaraj for
the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your
doubts and your self melt away”

The writer is founder chairman Wipro Limited
--
सादर/ Regards

अविनाश शाही/ Avinash Shahi
सहायक/ Assistant
मानव संसाधन प्रबंध विभाग/ Human Resource Management Department
भारतीय रिजर्व बैंक/ Reserve Bank of India
लखनऊ क्षेत्रीय कार्यालय/Lucknow RO
विस्तार/ Extension: 2232